I have seen the light! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 08:07 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have seen the light!

Not too long ago we were talking about welds. Butt welds, lap welds, flanges etc...when Randy popped in and offered up http://www.metalmeet.com and a couple of pictures.

Being that I have an active interest in metalshaping, I went to the site. I found a guy by the name of Wray Schelin who fabricates Jaguar panels (among other things). He lived about two hours away from me, but I shot him an email and asked if I could serve as a shop hand. He quickly got back to me and said I could visit this weekend.

Well I just got back. I spent most of the day helping Wray with an old rare Chrysler door...I say helping, I mean HOLDING the door over a post dolly while he worked it with a slapper and a hammer.

Maybe sounds boring to some of you, but it was damn interesting. Here's why. He tig-welded this skin (that he probably hand formed) to this door. He lightly ground down the welds...colored the door with a magic marker and hit it with 120 grit disk. This was like a guide coat..showed the highs and the lows.

Over to the post dolly we went, to stretch out the metal. Again, it was colored with the marker...again it was hit with the 120 grit. I felt this door, the now INVISIBLE weld seam...and it felt awesome to me. Wray was not satisfied. He continued to stretch, color, sand, stretch, color, sand...

This door was damn close to perfect...but CLOSE to perfect isn't what Wray is all about. He kept on keeping on.

I was there from 10AM until about 5PM, during that time, we mostly focused on this door. By the time I left, he related that we were about 1/3 done (due to where the door had to be welded it was extremely difficult to work the metal).

I am just amazed. With practice and an understanding of the mechanics of metal you CAN put a car back together without bondo. For the most part, I figured bondo was a fact of life...most especially when dealing with some kind of welding..seems it's nigh impossible to get rid of the small imperfections left after welding...this is not true.

If you got this far..you should really check out metalmeet.com it will be worth your time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:

Hi Unstable (bet you're even more unstable now!!!)
Glad to hear you had great time working with Wray. You won't find a better, more knowledgeable metalshaper than him.
You're right, CLOSE isn't in his vocabulary. PERFECTION is all he will accept. I'm sure you went away with a few new tricks.
Did you get any pictures to share with us???

Randy Ferguson
Metalshaping & Kustom Paint
www.metalmeet.com
Old 03-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:

actually no...even though I brought the camera, I didn't take any pictures. Since he was working to put food in his mouth...I didn't waste time taking pictures...maybe next time.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.