I have tried , ....no luck yet?????????????? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM
bsa_bob's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: britton mich
Posts: 334
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have tried , ....no luck yet??????????????

I have been in the process of getting this 348 stock.....settin outside for 8 years chevy motor runninig. I have fire and gas.............it hits and tries eveytime.when you ad lots of gas.........but then it slows down with the starter getting tired.Its right on the brink ..you might say of running,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but just won't keep firing long enough .or gas enough. i don't have a clue.I am using "either" and gas. With a GOOD holley carb,A choke prop holding the butter fly open on the front two barrels.Can this be a weak coil its an old accell[yellow]nere wires ...8 years ago . you can ground a plug off the , engine block. Big! hot !blue spark / Any one care to take a whack at this . I am intently listening thanks for anthing bob s

ps the distributor is not loose and it supposedly was driven in to where she sat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 595 Times in 545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
I have been in the process of getting this 348 stock.....settin outside for 8 years chevy motor runninig. I have fire and gas.............it hits and tries eveytime.when you ad lots of gas.........but then it slows down with the starter getting tired.Its right on the brink ..you might say of running,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but just won't keep firing long enough .or gas enough. i don't have a clue.I am using "either" and gas. With a GOOD holley carb,A choke prop holding the butter fly open on the front two barrels.Can this be a weak coil its an old accell[yellow]nere wires ...8 years ago . you can ground a plug off the , engine block. Big! hot !blue spark / Any one care to take a whack at this . I am intently listening thanks for anthing bob s

ps the distributor is not loose and it supposedly was driven in to where she sat.
Good spark rules out most ignition probs.

Check to see if the timing chain is shot. Check the rotor position w/#1 at TDC. Should be just before #1 or #6 distributor cap terminal. If it's not the timing chain has slipped or is very worn (and a car will run like that sometimes- but not well. And restarting it could be very hard).

Could be the rings are still stuck and it has very little compression. A compression test would tell that tale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 AM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 68
Posts: 1,790
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 734
Thanked 542 Times in 436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Good spark rules out most ignition probs.

Check to see if the timing chain is shot. Check the rotor position w/#1 at TDC. Should be just before #1 or #6 distributor cap terminal. If it's not the timing chain has slipped or is very worn (and a car will run like that sometimes- but not well. And restarting it could be very hard).

Could be the rings are still stuck and it has very little compression. A compression test would tell that tale.
Don't rule distributor installed a tooth out.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 595 Times in 545 Posts
I'm going by the statement " the distributor is not loose and it supposedly was driven in to where she sat".

If the distributor was a "tooth out", turning it to restore the correct timing would be all that's needed. The only thing that might prevent that would be the vacuum advance hitting the firewall or intake, preventing the timing from being set right. But I get your point- the timing could be off. Checking the rotor position at TDC will show that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Foresthill Ca.
Posts: 35
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey bob,
Sounds like the old Lack O comperssion.
Pull the plugs, give all cylinders a few squirts of oil crank it over 10 or 9
times. Have a cup of coffee.
Crank the engine over again w/o plugs. Install plugs and start it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM
painted jester's Avatar
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
 

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Michigan
Age: 67
Posts: 1,726
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 93
Thanked 250 Times in 205 Posts
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1356028861

Bob:

The starter will pull power away from the coil unless The "I" (ignition) wire is hooked up! Hook it directly from the starter to the + coil terminal and not through the resistor!! It only supply's power to the coil when you crank the engine!! When the key returns to run position the power doesn't come from that wire any more it comes through the resistor! If your still using a jump wire from the battery by pass the resistor momentarily till it starts and then use the resister once its running!

I'm not saying that's why it wont start but it could compound any other problem your having

Ive also seen animals plug the exhaust systems up so bad as it wouldn't let the engine run!!!!!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tt4a.gif
Views:	313
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	69942  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
bsa_bob's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: britton mich
Posts: 334
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
no balast resistor on this car.Distributor is loose.............Where can i set it at to rough start it? vacume advance; ex; clear back to fire wall .....half way out forwards........... or all the way to where it stops to the front seems i remember doing this years ago but i could be wrong thank you for any thing on this. bob s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 04:23 PM
T-bucket23's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 56
Posts: 4,948
Wiki Edits: 26

Thanks: 2
Thanked 76 Times in 64 Posts
Snug it down and try moving it CCW a little at a time. Dont move it more than a 1/16th of an inch at a time. It must be close if you say it has fired a few times. Sounds like it is a little retarded from your explaination.

A fresh set of plugs may help you. If you have been cranking it a lot the old plugs may be loaded up. I would not use either as it can do more harm than good.
__________________
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity



Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to T-bucket23 For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob (12-20-2012)
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
bsa_bob's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: britton mich
Posts: 334
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
thank you much i'll try that.the plugs look pretty wet and black right now.. bob s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 PM
EOD Guy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,878
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 89 Times in 82 Posts
Look at the harmonic balancer and timing tab...... bump the starter till you get TDC, look at the dizzy cap and get a reference to where the #1 plug wire is located, pull the dizzy cap off and see where the rotor is pointing...... if it's not pointing to the #1 plug wire reference point then rotate the dizzy body till it is (you're going to have to take the cap off several times to do this) That'll get you really close to a fire solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Piland Triangle, Elroy, TX
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dunlay, TX
Posts: 24
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
start it on carb cleaner. it'll save you the cranking & you' will learn a lot about the motor condition quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 PM
painted jester's Avatar
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
 

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Michigan
Age: 67
Posts: 1,726
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 93
Thanked 250 Times in 205 Posts
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1356062624

Bob: the white braided wire is the resistor !!! Look for it on the fire wall! There is no block resistor on the 60s chevys! Its the wire itself!! You must have one on the car on the fire wall if it hasn't been removed. This was the only picture I could find that showed the white braiding!! Its between the blue and purple wire in the pic! Forget the #1 & #2 They were on the picture and mean nothing!

Are you working outside on that Bob or in a warm garage?

Jester
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firewallterminal 1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	69955  

Last edited by painted jester; 12-20-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to painted jester For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob (12-21-2012)
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2012, 05:16 AM
EOD Guy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,878
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 89 Times in 82 Posts
Being that you are getting a blue hot spark when grounding the plug on the block and you have verified the #1 rotor-to-dizzy cap post position and as suggested above with the WD40 in each plug hole to free up the rings....... I'd say sounds like somewhere your plug wires have been switched and your firing order has been screwed up.

Verify you firing order is correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967-1972-Chevrolet-Spark-Plug-Wiring-Diagrams-300x295.gif
Views:	57
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	69957  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 AM
bsa_bob's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: britton mich
Posts: 334
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1356062624

Bob: the white braided wire is the resistor !!! Look for it on the fire wall! There is no block resistor on the 60s chevys! Its the wire itself!! You must have one on the car on the fire wall if it hasn't been removed. This was the only picture I could find that showed the white braiding!! Its between the blue and purple wire in the pic! Forget the #1 & #2 They were on the picture and mean nothing!

Are you working outside on that Bob or in a warm garage?

Jester

NO i quit working o/s 45 years ago i love hotrods Chris..........but.not enough for that. Did a little workin o/s..when i first got married. Chris.i am going to sell this kar, or trade towards a 55 chevy or?. if thats possible .This motor looks great but the rest of the kar ...SUCKS see ya thanks for the help talk at ya again Chris bob s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 PM
bsa_bob's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: britton mich
Posts: 334
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
Look at the harmonic balancer and timing tab...... bump the starter till you get TDC, look at the dizzy cap and get a reference to where the #1 plug wire is located, pull the dizzy cap off and see where the rotor is pointing...... if it's not pointing to the #1 plug wire reference point then rotate the dizzy body till it is (you're going to have to take the cap off several times to do this) That'll get you really close to a fire solution.
I have the rotor alined up with the "cap". i have been moving the distri; back a tad at a time, The engine now turns much faster, BUT..i get a tight spot where it slows momentarily,... then resumes turning faster. wet plugs now, gas poured down the carb.this thing oughta at least try to fire.it won't even try now. please hang in there til i get her lit ..... the kar not my wife!............. tryin to lighten the mood here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The luck of me moontanker Off-Topic 1 12-07-2008 09:57 AM
if it werent for bad luck, id have no luck atol engineman302 Engine 0 05-16-2005 05:41 PM
Wish me luck Stitch Hotrodders' Lounge 8 12-30-2003 06:10 PM
Wish me luck Rubberman2003 Electrical 2 11-21-2003 08:07 PM
wish us luck spooki Hotrodders' Lounge 7 08-27-2003 10:30 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.