I hope someone can help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I hope someone can help

I know this ain't no hot rod,but I have been working on a 1996 Ford F-350 4x4 with a 7.3DI diesel and so far last year the IDM mounts on the inside of the drivers fender an it got water in it so I replaced it with a rebuilt one,then I replaced the valve cover gaskets and the inner injector wiring,I replaced the injectors and the fuel pump,truck ran fine,this year,I replaced the cam sensor with one that ford says will not burn out,well it did three times,and the truck sat in the drive way for about two months and would not start,tried to read the computer but every time I tried to read the KOEO codes,the reader would shut off,it will read the present codes but says error when trying to clear them,so I pull the IDM relay and it will read them,then it quit reading ant thing,so I ordered a new computer and a new IDM,I am thinking that the computer already had problems and the IDM I bought my not of been rebuilt right,I hope,has any one else had to deal with any of this

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

diagnostics

Take the truck to a shop with the proper diagnostic tools and the people to interpet the data. Then they can determine what is required to repair the system. Ideally diagnostics can be treated separatly from the repair.
Of course they may have to disassemble something to obtain a diagnosis.
They can then give you quote on the repair cost.
Or you could do the repair.
Throwing parts at a problem is, at best guessing, expensive and doesn't resolve the problem.

vicrod
Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 AM

figured it out

well I pulled the IDM and the computer,the computer because it could not be read,erased,and would shut off the scan tool when I tried to read the KOEO,so when I pulled the computer,if there would of been computer's back in the 20's,I would swear this was one,the case was almost solid rust and the in side looked like it had been under water,I ordered another IDM,so with one coming I pulled the glue off this one to take a look inside,it was bought a year an a half ago and it was a rebuilt,I dried it out with air,and once I cleaned it up,I couldn't see any thing burnt,but I did see where who ever rebuilt this didn't put any of the screws back in the board to hold it down,there is two screws that hold down the plastic part where the wiring plug go's,but the center and back screws was not there,I could see where at one time there was screws,probably when it was new,and the ground connections was corroded from the water,so I cleaned it off,installed three screws,mounted it hooked up the battery's then it fired right up,run's really good and strong,when the new IDM gets here I will use it and keep this one for a spare
Old 03-27-2013, 12:30 AM

forgot

I have a $2,500 upgradable snap on scan tool that I bought in 2005,and I have used it on hundred's of vehicles,the reason I posted a question because maybe some one else has had the same problems,the reason I don't take vehicles to the shop's or dealers is because I can't afford to pay them their price's and second I took a truck almost just like this one back for some repair's that was covered by the warranty,the truck was using oil,they said it was the valve seals,the alternator wasn't charging,this truck was diesel and had less then 60,000 miles,so when I picked up the truck,I had an 14 mile ride home,looking at the invoice,the warranty was charged for a new alternator,plus was charged for a alternator rebuild kit with a new regulater,when I got home all of a sudden there was all this noise under the hood,and steam,I shut it off,well the alternator pulley came off and the belts started whipping around under the hood,ripping out the tranny lines from the cooler,ripped a pretty good hole in the radiator ,and that was the good thing,because you see then they put the valve covers back on,they tighten the valve covers down on top of the wiring harness on both sides in the rear,then the belts did all the damage it stopped me,other wise it would of blown,all the oil had pumped out,the oil level wasn't touching the dip stick afterit set for a few hours,we pulled the oil plug from the pan,and there was less then a gallon of dirty black oil with chunk's of valve guide seals,the invoice also said they had serviced it as well,so you see I m don't have much faith in shops around here,not to say all shops are like this,just this one I know of but I do know I m not like that,and I trust me!!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I strongly suggest that you go to the Ford Truck Enthusiasts web site where you will get whatever pertinent info you need to 'fix' your problem.

Here: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ford truck and SUV owners and enthusiasts Community And Information Source.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 AM

its already fixed by cleaning out the IDM and installing three screws that was not installed when it was rebuilt,the screws that hold and ground the board,it had got water in the IDM when it was sitting with the hood open and it rained on the engine compartment,but it's all good now the workers drove the truck today over 600 miles and they said it ran better then it has ever sense that IDM was installed last year,but thanks

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.