I invented my own engine: The X-16 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yes, there is such an engine, but I cant really remember to much about it except seeing 4 spark plugs at 90 deg. ends of the engine. But then again it could have been some no name rotary engine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2004, 08:09 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Re: Radial engine

Quote:
Originally posted by docvette
[i][size=3] Doc here

Yup...Been done afore!

The radial engine was popular in late 20's and early 1930's .
Hmmmmm, seems to me they were pretty popular in that thing in the 40's called WWII. Remember the P-47, the F4F, F6F, Corsair, B-17, B24, B29, TBF, SB2C, SBD, C-47 (DC-3), C-46, B25, B26, A20, A26, P-61, FW190, JU88, A6M2 (ZERO), OSCAR, GEORGE, JACK, BETTY, PEGGY, KATE, VAL, and a bunch of others I'm sure I"m forgetting. Pretty successful, that buch, and most of the post-war to the early 60's commercial airplanes. Also, the some versions of the Sherman tank and versions of the M3 were also powered by radial engines.

tom
Old 10-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I did a stint in the USAF as a reciprocating engine mechanic. The hardest thing for me was understanding the crankshaft of the 38 cylinder, in school. They were awesome engines.

Troy
Old 10-22-2004, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Mike, you might find these links interesting. The last one has a LOT of engines listed. Pack a lunch.

http://www.zvezda.spb.ru/eng/m503a.htm
http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/xr-7755.html
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/engines/radial.htm

Troy, any of those big dudes look familiar?

Larry
Old 10-22-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:

Fiat or Lancia had a nice design back in the 80's with a 2-liter 16-valve engine. The radical change was mostly in the cylinder head. I think it was called an X-flow head (not cross-flow). Instead of having to two intake valves on one side and the exhaust valvles on the other side of the chamber they were "mixed" meaning the left front valve is intake and left rear is exhaust while right front is exhaust and right rear is intake. That made for the exhaust ports to exit both sides of the head. The intake ports were from the top centre of the head around the spark plug. It was said that this arrangement changed the heat distribution so that one side isn't hot (exhaust) while the other side was cooler (intake). It also made for an easy twin turbo setup giving the motor some ridiculous power output for it's size. I'll go and search for the article in my magazines and post some pics from it. I can then also give some more info on the motor.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:49 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Daimler Benz developed a W shaped engine in WWII. It involved mating 2 of the DB601 series of engines side-by-side. It was not successful partly because the center banks shared a common exhaust manifold that got way too hot. It was used in the Heinkel 177 bomber.

tom
Old 10-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Re: Re: Radial engine

OOPs next post please!
Old 10-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Re: Re: Radial engine

Quote:
Originally posted by machine shop tom
Hmmmmm, seems to me they were pretty popular in that thing in the 40's called WWII. Remember the P-47, the F4F, F6F, Corsair, B-17, B24, B29, TBF, SB2C, SBD, C-47 (DC-3), C-46, B25, B26, A20, A26, P-61, FW190, JU88, A6M2 (ZERO), OSCAR, GEORGE, JACK, BETTY, PEGGY, KATE, VAL, and a bunch of others I'm sure I"m forgetting. Pretty successful, that buch, and most of the post-war to the early 60's commercial airplanes. Also, the some versions of the Sherman tank and versions of the M3 were also powered by radial engines.

tom

Doc here

Tom,

Ooops! skipped an IMPORTANT decade, didn't I?

Age I'll do that to ya...Selective endorphin misfires..."I think therefore I have head aches..."

The DC 3 is a twin radial workhorse that still exists within the industry TODAY...And will still be flying cargo until parts are no longer available ...

Oakland airport has a DC~3 That flys out of there daily a Charter, Called Sentimental Journeys. $400.00 a half hour flight... Plush cabin, Champagne Flight...And it is airborne Almost every day!

Here are a Couple of photos I Took of a Couple we dealt with at the maintenance Department At Japan Airlines..for private clients..

I know we are talking radials here..

but The 51 here, is worth mentioning...

This plane was brought to our Avionics department at Japan Airlines...to have a Transponder and altitude encoder installed when the rules changed to required equipment list in the OAK area...TERSA...about 15 years ago...

(They had to pay the freight for us flight Training division guy's someway...so the maintenance department did outside maintenance/Avionics work)

No small feat for the Guys...since the Instrument panel was made of Bulletproof material, not so easy to cut and file!

The stock Avionics Bay used to be in the back of the pilot in a rack for remote mounted Tube type Avionics .

(and darned Few of them! You'd be lucky for a Comm, A Nav with Vor head, and Maybe if you were lucky an ADF....A Real "needle, Speedal..and airball airplane!)

Since the advent of panel mount solid state radios, most of these (including this one ) were Stripped out and a "Jump-Seat" and extra Controls were installed For one very Small , Very cramped Passenger, as this one was...

This Airplane Belonged to the Son of COL "Pappy" Boyenton, (SP?) and I think is on the inventory list of the CAF even today...

The photo was taken in our JET hanger, where we stored it, Normally it would have gone to the GENAV side of the house, EXCEPT the prop WOULD NOT fit under the door...so the guys made a home for it in the jet hanger...

The other is 47 that belonged to the CAF and was tied down on our ramp for a few years while they searched for parts...

Sorry for the Polaroid's ... But they didn't have Digi's back 15 years ago...

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p51~47.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	2872  
Old 10-23-2004, 12:01 AM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last journal entry: distributer housing...
Last photo:

the hardest part for me to understand with radials was how the "cam" works... its realy two discs (for a one row radial) with the outer edge used to lift the vavle. however i think the radial engine is a beautiful design, got to love master rods and articulating rods... btw thats another weird thing about radials. the piston/s with the master rod are timed diffrent than the rest..... oh oh and lets not forget about the 4 row radial guys... oh and if you guys wanna see the ultimate allison v type engine look up a allison V-3420 engine, its 2 v-12 v-1710's together and made 2.600 hp, 24 cylinders, 4 mags, supercharged5.5 inch bore 6 inch stroke, 6.65 compreshion ratio, alluminum heads, forged pistons, forged steel fork and blade rods machined and shot blasted, alluminum case, 4 vavle per cylinder.... was one heck of a beast!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.