I invented my own engine: The X-16 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I invented my own engine: The X-16

Well a couple of months ago I was drawing in class (as I always do when I'm bored) and drew a v8 from the front, things kinda started to flow and I came up with a X type engine.
Now here's my questions

1) Is there already such engine?
2) Would it work?
3) How would fuel get to the lower V8

The engine bascially consists of 2 V8's joined togehter, using one crankshaft for all 16 cylinders. Lubrication would be a whole other ordeal.
I'm hoping it works maybe fuel injection could make it work?

Anywayrs, here's my 5-minute sketch to epxlain a bit better

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 02:52 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Are you a mind reader or something.

I have been pondering that exact setup and the issues you are asking about.

Actually my biggest issue is how to oil the lower valves properly...maybe some type of pressurized system?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:03 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Yeah oil would probably have to be pressurized to consantly flow at the same speed through the heads/valves. I guess a strong injetion and a vaccuum? I really dont know what I'm talking about, thats why I'm here.
So would this work or not?

Mike
Old 10-21-2004, 03:04 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

wouldnt that be some kind of rotary engine?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

EDIT: darn! I thought I had something new here, turns out there IS an actual x-engine

http://www.100megsfree4.com/dictiona...m#X-typeEngine
Old 10-21-2004, 03:06 PM
I dun learned sumthin

I think this is the same as a radial engine commonly used in propeller air planes.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by NovaSS350
I think this is the same as a radial engine commonly used in propeller air planes.
other than the radial engines are usually all cylinders in a circular fashion, not depth-wise
Old 10-21-2004, 03:14 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/m4sherman.html

Scroll down to find the 30 cylinder Chrysler multibank engine. 5 6-cylinder engines joined together. Called the eggbeater.

tom
Old 10-21-2004, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

As far as oil and fule, old Radial aircraft engines solved those problems long ago. If you look at that type of engine you will see that it's flat, All the cylinders in one row and a circle. You'r problem is the Crankshaft. You'r going to have twice as many rods attached to the crank, so the crank either has to be twice as long, or similar to that of a radial engine. To make a crank like that for a X-16 would be very technical and expensive. If I'm not mistaken one aircraft maker tried an X-12 back in the 30's or 40's and it was just too much trouble, the V-12's (merlin,packard & Rolls) worked so much better and were easier to make, in the end the idea was dropped. Don't stop dreaming and thinking, that's where all new inventions come from. And don't get discoraged, you may be the one to solve those problems and make a X-16..
Old 10-21-2004, 03:23 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Pony
As far as oil and fule, old Radial aircraft engines solved those problems long ago. If you look at that type of engine you will see that it's flat, All the cylinders in one row and a circle. You'r problem is the Crankshaft. You'r going to have twice as many rods attached to the crank, so the crank either has to be twice as long, or similar to that of a radial engine. To make a crank like that for a X-16 would be very technical and expensive. If I'm not mistaken one aircraft maker tried an X-12 back in the 30's or 40's and it was just too much trouble, the V-12's (merlin,packard & Rolls) worked so much better and were easier to make, in the end the idea was dropped. Don't stop dreaming and thinking, that's where all new inventions come from. And don't get discoraged, you may be the one to solve those problems and make a X-16..
There are (were) many) twin row radial engines.Also, the x-type was intended for the Hawker Tempest (an imrovement of the Typhoon). The x-type was not successful.

tom

Last edited by machine shop tom; 10-21-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

thats what I was thinking...radial engine...its basically been done. LOL no...its not a rotary
Old 10-21-2004, 04:45 PM

Last journal entry: Window templates
Last photo:

Yeah, I had a Rotary once, in a 74 Mazda RX4. What a screamer. It would blow the doors of of a 350 Monte Carlo, but only lasted about 40,000 miles. Still, just before it blew, I could wind it way past the 10,000 rpm mark on the tach without it complaining at all.
But I digress. Nightfire, you just keep thinking the way you are, and you might just come up with some revolutionary concept someday that wil make you RICH RICH RICH. Then you can build any hot rod you want!
Old 10-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

to solve fuel and oil problems mount it up and down in the car, instead of front to back. so the crank is vertical not horizontal
Old 10-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Ever heard of the "K cycle" engine Nightfire?

You will need Adobe acrobat to view the above link.

Invented right here in Manitoba! I worked with some Tool and Die Makers who worked on the project, K&S Tool and Die (Wpg.) did most of the development machine work, too bad the researcher ran out of money and patience. The rear swashplate seal was a big technical hurdle that never got solved although the engine did run.

Didn't need a muffler either.

If your interested, the inventors wife donated the engine and sundries to the University of Manitoba when he passed away a few years ago, it's apparently on display at the Engineering complex. The inventor and yourself have a lot in common.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Radial engine

[size=3] Doc here

Yup...Been done afore!

The radial engine was popular in late 20's and early 1930's Style airplanes, and is extensively used today in bush type planes like the DeHaviland Beaver and some crop dusters , also aerobatic stunt planes like the Waco Bi~plane...

For instance the 16 cylinder Rolls Royce radial was a power pack on a gun platform..

Would create some awesome horsepower ... like around 1600... could power the plane at low altitude at Jet plane speed in a dive 350 + knot's...It had an inter-cooler mounted on the belly of the plane..a major drawback if you got nailed by flack or small arms fire from the ground...It used tons of oil...and had the oil tank mounted inside the cockpit on some of the early models.

Some of the drawbacks were... The airplane weight, somewhere around 15,000 lbs ramp weight wet (fuel and oil included) 90 % of that weight was pure engine mounted way forward of datum...or the balance point of the aircraft, making it a lead weighted dart without power...

Getting it to fuel to fire up (since you were fueling 16 cylinders)...then keeping it from fouling out on half of them while you were trying to start it...

The start system (before Electric start) used a canister fired shell , fired directly into the induction system, to get it to spin...(like a flare gun) so you could burn off the fuel you worked so hard to get into the cylinder's and carbon foul the induction system..

It only had a service ceiling of about 13.000 feet AGL, before the engine would cough and the ground would spiral up at you...(no turbo for breathing in thin air)

Oh..and did I mention...It burned 100 to 150 gallons an hour at normal cruise configuration...?

It also Shook the Airframe apart from Shear horsepower (add to that, 30 cal machine guns constantly hammering the airframe)...In WW2 They built airframes to last only about 250 flight hours before catastrophic failure (like cracked spars) would occur...the mind set there was it would get shot down before then...Fooled them...There are still some around today...

I had the PRIVILEGE of flying one for the CAF from JAL flight training center at Napa, to Hansford (Fresno Ca) about 15 years ago, Normally a 45 minute flight in a 6 or 8 Cylinder Continental normally aspirated engine like a Cessna 182....It did it in 17 minutes...and the exhaust Note coud be heard about half the distance away...It's like driving a top fueler of the airplane world..It can stress your body just like a dragster, snap your neck in hard rolls...it's just an awesome experience!!!

Today, there is a bone yard full of new crated Radial engines in Arizona that primarily get used for Movies, TV and Drones..(Vineyard Heaters)

Good engine, with few practical uses today!

Don't give up on your dreaming and inventing...Dude, No Doubt Someday you'll come up with an awesome new idea!!

Doc
[/size]

Last edited by docvette; 10-21-2004 at 07:32 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.