Hot Rod Forum banner

I just had a revelation...

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  WakBordr7387 
#1 ·
Yeaaa don't you hate how you think you're moving along pretty well with your beloved car then it just BAM hits you how much work you realllllyyy have left in fixing it back up. It just hit me yesterday when I took a goooood looonnnggg look at my 64 el camino and it just hit me how much money it's going to take and how much stuff I want to do with it. It's gonna look killer when everything starts piecing together but I have soooo much to do before I even think of painting mine. Some day... some day I will know what it's like to wash a car haha, damn primer :p I love working on that thing, but sometimes it's just like I want to see some heavy progress but then all the stuff with school, then working all day on fixing up other people's cars kind of turns me off on that.

The repair weld work is slow but coming along on the bed of my truck since the guy I bought it from was going to shorten that sucker up all the way to the rear fender wells to make it a professional street drag car, dunno what he was thinking, traction's already terrible. But then in the midst of wanting to restore my car, it's always the lil stuff going wrong that sets it back and it can be a lil irritating when you want to weld something in and instead have to fix a failed thermostat that some moron at a inspection place let it run too hot without even turning on the fans at idle so it basically just crapped the thermostat out. It doesn't take long to do it, maybe an hour tops if I'm working realllly slow, but it's just that much time I could've been workin on my car. Thenn I also found out something a lil scary that I feel so stupid for not catchin before but my headers are touching my control arm brackets :pain: Thank God it's the fixed part of it but still, motor vibrations plus rubbing on headers does not equal anything pleasent so I have to notch a lil bit out of the bracket end to give me proper clearance. Again not a big deal but it just hit me how much lilllll tiny stuff I have to do on it like take out the carpet I installed last summer to re-do the paint job with the barbeque paint that I wasn't happy with the way it came out after literally 7 hrs of constant grinding/polishing/bondoing work every day for about a week on the floorpans, then topping it off with paint that should've been a tough finish but I can rub off nearly a year later with my finger?? But going to re-finish the entire interior and make it pretty much brand new and it'll be much easier to work without fear of ruining the carpet. Heehee, sorry I kind of vented off a lil about my frustrations in this but it hit me hard about how much stuff I need to get finished with this and sometimes it feels like forever before you can even see progress. Sometimes I forget the countless things I've already done on this and to someone just walking up to it compared to last time they've seen it, they probably won't see any changes. But don't get me wrong, working on the car is very fun, especially when you can sit back and admire your work and be proud of what you've done.

See less See more
#2 ·
Classix_Lover said:
Yeaaa don't you hate how you think you're moving along pretty well with your beloved car then it just BAM hits you how much work you realllllyyy have left in fixing it back up? It just hit me yesterday when I took a goooood looonnnggg look at my 64 el camino and it just hit me how much money it's going to take and how much stuff I want to do with it.

It's gonna look killer when everything starts piecing together but I have soooo much to do before I even think of painting mine. Some day... some day I will know what it's like to wash a car haha, damn primer :p I love working on that thing, but sometimes it's just like I want to see some heavy progress but then all the stuff with school, then working all day on fixing up other people's cars kind of turns me off on that.

The repair weld work is slow but coming along on the bed of my truck since the guy I bought it from was going to shorten that sucker up all the way to the rear fender wells to make it a professional street drag car, dunno what he was thinking, traction's already terrible.

But then in the midst of wanting to restore my car, it's always the lil stuff going wrong that sets it back and it can be a lil irritating when you want to weld something in and instead have to fix a failed thermostat that some moron at a inspection place let it run too hot without even turning on the fans at idle so it basically just crapped the thermostat out. It doesn't take long to do it, maybe an hour tops if I'm working realllly slow, but it's just that much time I could've been workin on my car.

Thenn I also found out something a lil scary that I feel so stupid for not catchin before but my headers are touching my control arm brackets :pain: Thank God it's the fixed part of it but still, motor vibrations plus rubbing on headers does not equal anything pleasent so I have to notch a lil bit out of the bracket end to give me proper clearance.

Again not a big deal but it just hit me how much lilllll tiny stuff I have to do on it like take out the carpet I installed last summer to re-do the paint job with the barbeque paint that I wasn't happy with the way it came out after literally 7 hrs of constant grinding/polishing/bondoing work every day for about a week on the floorpans, then topping it off with paint that should've been a tough finish but I can rub off nearly a year later with my finger?? But going to re-finish the entire interior and make it pretty much brand new and it'll be much easier to work without fear of ruining the carpet.

Heehee, sorry I kind of vented off a lil about my frustrations in this but it hit me hard about how much stuff I need to get finished with this and sometimes it feels like forever before you can even see progress. Sometimes I forget the countless things I've already done on this and to someone just walking up to it compared to last time they've seen it, they probably won't see any changes. But don't get me wrong, working on the car is very fun, especially when you can sit back and admire your work and be proud of what you've done.

Much like the el camino, this post needed alot of work. lol I broke it up so it's easier for everyone to read.

#5 ·
Ghetto Jet said:
Much like the el camino, this post needed alot of work. lol I broke it up so it's easier for everyone to read.
Lol, thanks ghetto, you can tell that was my first attempt at splitting up paragraphs on here. I usually don't bother with that but since it was a long story.. well you get the idea. Heheh, thanks for making me feel stupid cboy :thumbup: I'm definately an A student at "gooder english" apparently :D

#6 ·
Just think Classix, if it wasn't for all that work you needed to get done on that thing. You wouldn't learn a thing on how to work on that elky....of course then you wouldn't need to be 18 to buy paint and brake cleaner :p

Im sure everyone here has :p had a realization like that. I had one just recently, except a lot of my work needs to get done in the next few days......so Im gonna get off the interweb now and go get something done :sweat:

Brad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.