I just have a few questions, - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I just have a few questions,

Hey I have a couple questions that I've been thinking about for a little while. I was hoping I could get them figured out with the help of the people on this site.

1. Would it make sense to not bother buying SPI sealer and just get SPI epoxy so I don't have to buy a primer too? Then use SPI to seal the cars right before paint.

2. The one thing that I want from a clear above all else is it's ability to lay perfectly flat. So I was thinking SPI clear but I don't know which one to pick or is there a better clear for smoothness? That isn't an insane amount of money I mean. I live in south Ontario, Canada and my gun is a 1.3 tip that shoots at 25 psi.

3. If i'm going to paint a car flat black should I get the flat black single stage or should I paint it black and add something to the clear to make it dry flat? And if option 2, what colour base would you recommend?

4. What pearl is better. Liquid pearl or non-liquid pearl. And how would you shoot it?

5. If I want to prep an entire car for paint fast would the best idea be to get a red scotch brite pad and some scuffing product and rub it on the entire car? Would that be better than sanding everything with 400?

6. If I was flow coating a car and I wanted to give myself every opportunity to get it as smooth as possible, should I do 1 wet? 1 dry then 1 wet? 2 wet?

7. 6 coats of clear sanded and polished vs 3 coats, sanded, 3 more coats, sanded, and polished?

8. Does anyone every sand base before they put on clear?

9. If I want to do a test spray could I use pieces of wood or drywall that have automotive primer sprayed over them?

I know it's a lot of questions but thank you for helping!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 AM
CHEVY OR BUST

1. Would it make sense to not bother buying SPI sealer and just get SPI epoxy so I don't have to buy a primer too? Then use SPI to seal the cars right before paint.

no...use primer

2. The one thing that I want from a clear above all else is it's ability to lay perfectly flat. So I was thinking SPI clear but I don't know which one to pick or is there a better clear for smoothness? That isn't an insane amount of money I mean. I live in south Ontario, Canada and my gun is a 1.3 tip that shoots at 25 psi.

use slower dyring clear

3. If i'm going to paint a car flat black should I get the flat black single stage or should I paint it black and add something to the clear to make it dry flat? And if option 2, what colour base would you recommend?

spray can?????????? who does this???????? single stage if you can find it. clear makes anything shine.

4. What pearl is better. Liquid pearl or non-liquid pearl. And how would you shoot it?

dont understand your terminology...sorry

5. If I want to prep an entire car for paint fast would the best idea be to get a red scotch brite pad and some scuffing product and rub it on the entire car? Would that be better than sanding everything with 400?

red scothbrite and ajax....just dont expect it to last very long ... this method is used for blending clear coats....except with grey sb

6. If I was flow coating a car and I wanted to give myself every opportunity to get it as smooth as possible, should I do 1 wet? 1 dry then 1 wet? 2 wet?

never dry,,, lay as much clear as your want and 1200 between applications

7. 6 coats of clear sanded and polished vs 3 coats, sanded, 3 more coats, sanded, and polished?

dont know of anyone who polishes between coats.... so ame answer as above

UM NO!!!! you never sand a base coat!!!! I sudjest you take a class on refinishing before you do anything.... in the essences of saving you money... better yet just let someone who knows what they are doing do it for you.

9. If I want to do a test spray could I use pieces of wood or drywall that have automotive primer sprayed over them?

NO
Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Just have some time to chime in.

3. There are "matte clears" out and about from nearly every manufacturer that is the best way hands down on getting a semi gloss or flat finish in my opinion. Flat or semi gloss finishes without clear mar very easily and you have no way of repairing them. With the matte clear over it, you then have a basecoat clear coat and it is MUCH more durable. The matte clear is mixed at different ratios with regular clear to get the desired amount of "flatness".

But of course you also can't cut and buff it (to my knowledge, but have never tried, I think I will today). And on an overall or large areas with Matte clear ( or actually with any flattened color) you can run into different amounts of flatness depending on how wet you apply it. So a uniform coat is VERY important.

Brian
Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercetdg
Hey I have a couple questions that I've been thinking about for a little while. I was hoping I could get them figured out with the help of the people on this site.

yes,SPI epoxy is THE best sealer I've used

SPI universal clear is what you want but a 1.3 tip is a little small and takes getting used to ,you have to go slow ,a 1.4 is perfect

Spi epoxy comes in a nice semi gloss blackand from what I hear now has UV protection so it can be used as a top coat..(like on semi gloss stripes and hoods )

when using a pearl coat I've only used the dry powder mixed in with an inter coat base...think of it as a clear base coat.putting the pearls in your clear will work but nothing like the inter mix

dry sand with a DA and 320 or wet sand with 400 scuff pads are for the edges,louvers and other hard to sand spots,and even then you want to spray an adheasion promoter on those areas...never use a scuff pad in place of sanding

2 wet coats spray it like you want it to look when dry,especially with the spi uni clear

2 coats ,sand with 600 then two more coats.Its my opinion that 3 coats is to much at one time with these high solid clears today...Using 2 coats is plenty and can be sanded the next day when applying 3 coats it wont be sandable for two days....

never sand the base !!!!! I wont even tack it I go straight to clear

I guess ,if your PAINTING wood or sheetrock but if your painting metal wouldnt you want to test it on the same material as you going to paint???

I know it's a lot of questions but thank you for helping!
Your welcome
Old 03-28-2012, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

SPI Epoxy is all the sealer you need. Just reduce it.
SPI Universal is what I would suggest using.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

Answer to your #3. They do now make a flat clear to over a baseboat black. From my experience the best smoothest flat black is SEM flat black. No clear needed. A flat clear can be added for better protection but it varies as to how flat/ or satin the paint will look.
See my pics I have my satin black painted with flat black PCL and fkat clear on top. Just the flat black would be just a tad flatter ( in my opinion smoother)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

Thank you all for your contributions.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

What ive always recommended to people, and this is from experience with both, if you are going to keep the car covered go with a flat base with no clear. Will look a lot better kinda hard to explain but without clear looks a hellof A lot smoother and satinish. With a clear it tends to add a filmlike finish kinda hazy over time but protects from the environment better. Im going to take some up close shots of my cars one day to better explain
Old 03-30-2012, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

What ive always recommended to people, and this is from experience with both, if you are going to keep the car covered go with a flat base with no clear. Will look a lot better kinda hard to explain but without clear looks a hellof A lot smoother and satinish. With a clear it tends to add a filmlike finish kinda hazy over time but protects from the environment better. Im going to take some up close shots of my cars one day to better explain

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.