Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I let my timing chain slip and cant find TDC
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 06:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I let my timing chain slip and cant find TDC

Hope I'm ok asking a Nissan question here.
I have a Nissan 4 cylinder motor with a dual overhead cam . I was just changing the timing chain when I messed things up.
The instructions were to get crank and valves lined up to compression top dead center. No problem. I stuck the crankshaft bolt in and turned it to the timing tdc marks to get ready to pull the chains.
In loosening the crank bolt I spun the crankshaft in reverse rotation within the chain because I had taken off the tensioner and guide( big mistake)... see picture.
My problem now is trying to line things back up because I don't know how far the cranks spun backwards. Anyway I attached a pic- you can see the slop in the chain and in trying to move the pistons I am contacting the valves. Not hrd but enough that I feel the tension.
I'm probably making this harder than it needs be but can someone guide me on trying to get the crank back in sync with the valves. I am overly worried about bending a valve.. maybe they don't bend that easy.
I know what I did wrong just trying to fix it. Making a simple timing chain replacement into a major PITA. Could I have already damaged a valve. Each piston has 4 valves and they are angle in the head. I was going to do a leakdown and comp test when I get things back together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KA24de 029.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	39532  

Last edited by Berg; 07-18-2009 at 07:51 PM.