I may just take the bullet and sell my Mustang :( - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Clueless Teenager

Last journal entry: Misc.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I may just take the bullet and sell my Mustang :(

Ok, I bought a 1967 Ford Mustang with a little 289ci and it's got a great motor and tranny now, but, the problem now is my front suspension.

Ok, I've re-welded it 3 times and it keeps breaking, any ideas? I don't think this is safe at all and if I can't get it to stay, I'm going to re-weld it to hold long enough to sell it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 09:05 AM

What part keeps breaking, can it be replaced? Id try and fix it before selling it.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:16 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

don't sell it to somebody and not tell them!!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Suggestions? Yeah, learn how to weld, lol. Nahh, isn't that just a K-member (or the equivalent thereto)? Cant you just pull the motor and replace it? I doubt its a very expensive piece, you could probably even get a semi-universal re-pop and drill the holes you need. I wouldn't waste time welding something like that, you want all the integrity you can get.

K
Old 02-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Old Mustangs are to hotrods!

Last journal entry: 68 Mustang Fb
Last photo:

You're probably going to have to replace the lower rad x-member and the strut rod mount ( if that's bad). From the looks of it, you're welding just the fron lip and a fe spots. Those things are welded up in the middle areas that contact the x-member. This provides a stronger welding base.
This can be fixed with some time and new parts. Both of those parts are reproduced. Check any good Mustang parts supplier. I use NPD or CJ Pony Parts.
www.vintage-mustang.com
Old 02-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Clueless Teenager

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXS
don't sell it to somebody and not tell them!!!!
That's not what I meant, lol. Thanks for the site man, I'll check it out real quick... I hope I can fix this car because I love the car itself, but I have a new job now and i need to get there and back. I haven't just welded it to the front of the car, I moved it and re-welded it under the radiator, where you're talking about pretty much and used the same exact measurements as the left one. It still breaks off, front and back, I don't know what to do because the car pulls to the right so hard, even when it's welded back on that I think it's the x-member itself needs to be replaced along with the strut rod mount, but oh well.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Not to be a jerk, but I think this is pretty typical. Somebody has a few bucks in his pocket, finds an "old car" that needs "some work" and doesn't really stop to think that perhaps a car that cost a few more dollars at the get-go wouldn't need 12,000 dollars of parts and work. Take a 4,000 car, for example. You should be able to get a decent car with a driver paintjob that needs some odds and ends to the tune of a summer's work and a couple three grand worth of stuff. Boom, you've got 3 months and 6-7k in to a nice looking car. Whereas when you buy a car for a few hundred to 1500 bux, you can pretty much expect to have to go through the whole thing.

So here we are, you've got two cars in your yard that need an unknown amount of work, and now we know for a fact that one of them has serious structural issues. Don't kid yourself, a little patch-work welding and a ball-joint here or there is not what these cars need. You're talking about cars that are almost 40 years old. 40. Most houses need serious work after that long, let alone something that sits outside and gets moved all the time! Both of your cars need a frame-off and the one definitely needs to see a frame shop. I'm willing to bet if the huge x-member rusted through, you've got some frame issues (check the rear of the car where the frame meets the rear axle, betcha there's issues there). A little welding isn't going to make this car safe to drive, and its not fair to you, let alone the people on the road with you to have a car rolling around that hasn't had proper work done to it and been checked in a proper, thorough fashion. Now is the time to decide if you're in over your head and unload these cars.

K
Old 02-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Clueless Teenager

Last photo:

Thanks Killer, I think I'm WAY in over my head... I'm only 16 and don't have alot of money, I'm definately not ready for a frame-off restoration in the aspects of money or experience. I think I'm just going to sell the car, someone offered me $2,500 as it is right now without trying to fix the front suspension and that's extremely enticing to me as I paid $1,300 for it and about $300 in engine parts. Thanks for you help guys!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

good choice, maybe sell the other car as well and buy yourself a better grade of project-

K
Old 02-21-2005, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

Generally speaking I would not give up that fast. But now that you can make a profit things are a little different. Your choice after all. One advantage of redoing a basket case is you get definitely more experience than buying a road ready car.

Martin
Old 02-21-2005, 01:44 PM

dude...

You didn't try to weld on that rusted over gunky crap did you? I would sell both cars the camaro and the stang and buy something that isn't falling apart... OR go on ebay find a good rust free car on the west coast and use the money you made to ship it to wherever you live. Enless you live westcoast, in which case why you buy a rustbucket?
Old 02-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

You just need to weld it correctly.

You don't have to take the engine out. You can reach everything easily.

Have someone that knows what they are doing weld it.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:35 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You could alway remove the shock towers and put in a Mustang II suspension. You would also have alot more room under your hood for any engine bigger than a SB Ford. This can be expensive, but if you are not in a rush you could accomplish this in a few years.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

If he is having troubles with this, and is low on cash I think the Mustang II rack and pinion is out of the question.
Those kits are in the $2,000 to $3,000 range.

He could get a lot nicer car for that much $$$.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:29 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

If it isn't a fastback take the $2500 and run. If it is a fastback it's worth putting some effort into. Kudos for the effort kid but your welding looks like poop. A proficient welder could fix that right up. You can't just keep pileing weld upon weld, it has to be prepped.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.