I need an air stapler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 04:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I need an air stapler

Getting ready to install the windlace into the old PU and have a question... I tried tacking it in and it didn't go so well. I've been "needing" to buy a stapler and now seems as good a time as ever. I don't need and expensive one and it only needs to do what 1/2" deep staples? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Barry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2007, 05:19 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I don't have an air stapler but every electric stapler I've had has been a POS.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Stanley-Bostitch Mine is close to 20 years old and was used in production work and still works just fine..Actually not all that spendy to buy..You will need the wide crown model for upholstery work.

Sam
Old 04-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

A good pneumatic stapler will cost you $120 at least. Do not buy an off brand. Buy Bostich, DuoFast, BEA. Do not buy Fasco. I do this for a living and the Fasco lasted me 3 months. I have 3 BEA guns. When one of them needed repair, I sent it in and had it back in less than a week for a $40.00 repair charge, and it had been going strong every day for 12 years. A pneumatic stapler uses a finer staple than an electric,(an advantage in a car) and misfires far less. It also takes less finger pressure to fire which can be an advantage when you're laying on your back and reaching to the farthest extent of your arm reach. There are more different kinds and lengths of staples available for these guns. (different lengths, stainless steel) Anything you need to staple inside a car will only require a 5/16 staple at the most. c-boy: check your PM's.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 04-25-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Last photo:

I recently bought one from Sears for the very same reason as you. After struggling with a hand stapler and then pounding in the staples with a hammer I decided to take the plunge. I think I paid about $120 for it and it is one sweet stapler/brad nailer. I rank it up there with some of the more useful tools I have ever purchased. Of course you can by a lot cheaper one from Harbor freight .

Dan, got my windlace, it looks fantastic, haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Vince
Old 04-26-2007, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys for some info, I'll be looking around some. The idea of $120+++ for a stapler that will be used for 18' of windlace is a bit much. This is a one time thing as I've made it these 58 years so far w/o one. I'm sure if Dan's 'cheap' Fasco lasted three months of heavy use it would last for fifty staples one time, maybe!?!maybe not!?!
either way I appreciate your responses.
Barry
Old 04-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Unfortunately, my Fasco cost almost as much as the BEA (that thing still has me p.o.'d.) If that's all you're going to use it for, by all means, go as cheap as you can.

Vince: If it still doesn't work, we'll fix it somehow. I've been thinking about it and have a few ideas. One is to use my 3/4" welt foot instaed of the 5/8" foot. The other is to put some listing in-between the vinyl and the sponge rod.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:02 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

I got my pneumatic wide-crown stapler at Harbor Freight about 3 years ago, and it hasn't let me down yet. I keep it clean and I oil it before every use. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it, but I know it was less than $50 - probably closer to $30.

Back when I did this in a shop, we used Bostich and Senco staplers. Both were good brands, but a bit more pricey than you probably need to get into for a single project. Be warned, however - once you get going with an air stapler, you'll think of a million things to use it on. Ask me how I know this...

By the way - I agree with Dewey 100%. Electric staplers are a waste of time and money. The aggravation factor alone when dealing with an electric stapler is worth the price of a pneumatic stapler.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

I use a Rainco stapler pretty much the same as a Fasco and by no means is it a cheap gun, I work in a production facility that makes hard sided saddlebags for Yamaha, and we shoot staples with these guns through 3- 4 oz leather into HDPE plastic up to 16 hrs a day 5 days a week and after a year and a half of service has one of these guns yet to fail. I doubt anyone else would put their gun up to that much usage in a normal scenario. Remember they must be properly maintained and oiled with correct air pressure. We also have Bea but have pretty much discontinued their use becuase their weigth over the Rainco. Just my 2 cents
Old 04-26-2007, 09:25 PM

Last journal entry: Another year gone by...
Last photo:

Pneumatic Stapler

I'll echo the point that the Sears air stapler works great. After a couple of different staplers failed to attach a new convertible top to my wife's Mustang tack strips, I went to Sears, and paid around $100 bucks for their pneumatic. It worked great! The new convertible top is now installed (My 1st, what a pain!)
Old 04-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Last photo:

server busy...double post

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 04-27-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty82
Be warned, however - once you get going with an air stapler, you'll think of a million things to use it on. Ask me how I know this... .
That is exactly why I bought a combination staple/brad nailer. I have been using the heck out of it, and I bought it for attaching windlace, now I am using it for all sorts of jobs around the house. I don't know how I got along without it all these years.

Your cheapest route is Harbor Freight, but once you start using one you will more than likely upgrade to a better quality.

Vince

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.