Hot Rod Forum banner

I need cam help

22K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  355s10 
#1 ·
Hey i have a 355 sbc that i'm building for my '87 s-15. It has edelbrock performer rpm aluminum heads, performer rpm intake, wiseco flat top pistons, oliver rods, and a cam but the problem is i don't know what type of cam this is.. its markings are CWC 1579 and at the end of the shaft it has 413070. I suspect it might be a Crower?? but i'm not sure, i'm only 17 and don't have much experience with cams. it is hydraullic. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type of cam this is, or if they have any suggestions on a good cam to use. Also, if any one has an idea of what it will make for power? i'm hoping it will be 400+ but if you have an idea please let me know, thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
This is from a prior post by member Bracketeer you can look it up,but here is what he said about the company CWC

"CWC Textron
1085 W. Sherman Blvd.
Muskegon, MI 49441
U.S.A.

CWC is the industry leader in ductile iron cams for passenger car and light truck applications. CWC ductile iron is specifically engineered for roller camshaft applications and is manufactured in high volumes according to exacting customer requirements and tightly controlled internal processes. Many customers also take advantage of CWC's innovative Flame / Cryo / Temper technology for pre-hardening of the camshaft lobes. By providing castings with the camshaft lobes already at final hardness prior to machining, customers are able to lower cost and capital investment while ensuring the highest quality and most durable product available in today's market."

Maybe this will help some :thumbup: you might be able to google them for the phone number and call them with the other numbers for identification.

Cam kits from summit.com go for pretty cheep you should check that out to. Good Luck

#3 ·
355s10 said:
Hey i have a 355 sbc that i'm building for my '87 s-15. It has edelbrock performer rpm aluminum heads, performer rpm intake, wiseco flat top pistons, oliver rods, and a cam but the problem is i don't know what type of cam this is.. its markings are CWC 1579 and at the end of the shaft it has 413070. I suspect it might be a Crower?? but i'm not sure, i'm only 17 and don't have much experience with cams. it is hydraullic. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type of cam this is, or if they have any suggestions on a good cam to use. Also, if any one has an idea of what it will make for power? i'm hoping it will be 400+ but if you have an idea please let me know, thanks.
WOW, a big moster motor in a 1/4 ton truck, dont you have to also beaf up the brakes aswell :confused:

#6 · (Edited)
Oh OK i understand now thanks, so should i put in a comp cams extreme energy cam that i am able to get. it has 224-230 duration @ .50 and the lift is 502- 510. the cam would be free as i would trade for one of my hoodscoops. my only concern is would the idle be choppy with this sized cam? i'm using the truck to drive to school right now but i would really like to run low 13's or possibly a high 12. The truck is a 1987 gmc s15. the tranny is a 700R4 (auto) with a 2800 stall. rearend is a ford 9" with 355 gears. I've got 10 inch wide slicks and i'm not really sure what it weighs. I don't mind a choppy idle but i want it to be street able. If you have an idea of a time it might run i'd love to know thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.