I need cam help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 05:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I need cam help

Hey i have a 355 sbc that i'm building for my '87 s-15. It has edelbrock performer rpm aluminum heads, performer rpm intake, wiseco flat top pistons, oliver rods, and a cam but the problem is i don't know what type of cam this is.. its markings are CWC 1579 and at the end of the shaft it has 413070. I suspect it might be a Crower?? but i'm not sure, i'm only 17 and don't have much experience with cams. it is hydraullic. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type of cam this is, or if they have any suggestions on a good cam to use. Also, if any one has an idea of what it will make for power? i'm hoping it will be 400+ but if you have an idea please let me know, thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 08:59 PM
uninteresting default message

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: A couple of pics of the car
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

This is from a prior post by member Bracketeer you can look it up,but here is what he said about the company CWC

"CWC Textron
1085 W. Sherman Blvd.
Muskegon, MI 49441
U.S.A.

CWC is the industry leader in ductile iron cams for passenger car and light truck applications. CWC ductile iron is specifically engineered for roller camshaft applications and is manufactured in high volumes according to exacting customer requirements and tightly controlled internal processes. Many customers also take advantage of CWC's innovative Flame / Cryo / Temper technology for pre-hardening of the camshaft lobes. By providing castings with the camshaft lobes already at final hardness prior to machining, customers are able to lower cost and capital investment while ensuring the highest quality and most durable product available in today's market."

Maybe this will help some you might be able to google them for the phone number and call them with the other numbers for identification.

Cam kits from summit.com go for pretty cheep you should check that out to. Good Luck

Last edited by TorkMonster400; 03-13-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355s10
Hey i have a 355 sbc that i'm building for my '87 s-15. It has edelbrock performer rpm aluminum heads, performer rpm intake, wiseco flat top pistons, oliver rods, and a cam but the problem is i don't know what type of cam this is.. its markings are CWC 1579 and at the end of the shaft it has 413070. I suspect it might be a Crower?? but i'm not sure, i'm only 17 and don't have much experience with cams. it is hydraullic. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type of cam this is, or if they have any suggestions on a good cam to use. Also, if any one has an idea of what it will make for power? i'm hoping it will be 400+ but if you have an idea please let me know, thanks.
WOW, a big moster motor in a 1/4 ton truck, dont you have to also beaf up the brakes aswell
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM

So does this mean that the cam is a roller cam? Ha yes the brakes and tranny have work to be done. The tranny shifts too soft so i'm told that it won't liekly stand the abuse, and it will have tons of abuse!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

A roller cam uses roller lifters. No roller lifters in the block, not a roller cam.
I'll assume this is a bunch of used engine parts that you are trying to put back together.
The numbers on that cam do not mean anything recognizable to me.
if you measure the major - minor diameter of a intake lobe and an exhaust lobe to get and idea of the cam lobe lift you can usually find what the cam is or very close. Cam lobe major diameter - cam lobe minor diameter = cam lobe lift.
You can measure this using a dial caliper or micrometer.
Measure accuratly, yes it matters.
Cam lobe lift x rocker arm ratio = valve lift. ( SBC 1.5:1 rocker ratio.)
Once you have determined the measured cam lobe lift and calculated the valve lift, you can compar that to many online camshaft catalog listings to find it or get an idea of the duration and rpm range. Generally (but not always) valve timing duration increases relative with cam lobe lift.
A typical .480" (valve) lift hyd cam will have 230deg @.050" +/-3 deg duration 95% of the time. A .500" lift cam will have 244deg @.050" duration +/-3 deg 95% of the time. A .450"-.460" cam will have 222deg@.050" +/- 3deg 95% of the time. A .440" lift cam will have 215deg@.050" 95% of the time.
If the actual cam duration varies from these trends it won't be by much.
Measure the cam intake and exhaust lobe lift accuratly and post your results.
All the popular name brand aftermarket cams like isky Comp, Crane are stamped with specific part number and or grind numbers on the end of the cam.
The generic meaningless numbers stamped on your cam indicate it is probably a generic "white box" camshaft, that you can easily determine the specs by the cam lobe lift.
If the cam lobes and or the lifter faces are worn at all in any way, if they are not in perfect condition, it is not cost effective to reuse it. Pitch it and buy an new cam+ lifter set.

its not too hard to get 400+hp from a flat top pistoned 350 SBC with performer rpm heads+ a RPM manifold and a decent hyd cam.

What are the details of the vehicle the motor is going into and how will you be using it.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 03-13-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:15 AM
uninteresting default message

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: A couple of pics of the car
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I just pulled this off of another website here is CWC's phone number I would call them if you still want the specs.

For more information about CWC camshafts call (231) 739-2610.

I hope this helps in identifying your cam.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

CWC is the company that makes the raw cam core for 95% of all the cam companies that grind cams. CWC does not make finished camshafts, they just make the cam core ready for grinding the finished lobe on it. They sell the cores to other cam companies.
CWC makes the raw flat tappet camshaft core ready to grind for GM, Crane, Comp Isky, Lunati Federal Mogul ETCETCETC. If its a mass produced popular flat tappet cam CWC make the core for it.
There is no point in phoning them. There are many production cam grinding companies that make "white box" generic replacement and generic high perf cams that don't stamp identifiable part numbers or grind numbers on the camshaft. many engie builders use these common genreric camshafts in their motors. This could even be a "custom grind" without meaningfull ID able numbers. If it is at all worn or the lifters are at all worn in any way, its not worth worrying about cause the cam and lifters are trash anyways.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:34 PM

Oh OK i understand now thanks, so should i put in a comp cams extreme energy cam that i am able to get. it has 224-230 duration @ .50 and the lift is 502- 510. the cam would be free as i would trade for one of my hoodscoops. my only concern is would the idle be choppy with this sized cam? i'm using the truck to drive to school right now but i would really like to run low 13's or possibly a high 12. The truck is a 1987 gmc s15. the tranny is a 700R4 (auto) with a 2800 stall. rearend is a ford 9" with 355 gears. I've got 10 inch wide slicks and i'm not really sure what it weighs. I don't mind a choppy idle but i want it to be street able. If you have an idea of a time it might run i'd love to know thanks.

Last edited by 355s10; 03-18-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.