I need direction. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 08:31 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I need direction.

I'm currently about halfway through getting my ATA in welding but I'm not sure what is best. In order for me to finish getting my degree, I need to take some classes that I don't feel will help me to obtain my goal much, which is becoming a hotrod and custom car builder. I have to take 2 English classes, and one welding class that I don't think will be useful. The welding class is the third class for stick and it prepares me for a WABOS test I'll never take. However there are still some classes for the ATA that I feel will be beneficial, such as Technical Drawing and AutoCad. Unfortunately where I am currently attending they have no sheetmetal, or machinist classes, and the automotive classes are set up in blocks. You have to take blocks of three or four classes, and in those blocks of classes are some you may not want to take. Such as in order to take a class on starting and charging systems you would also have to take a class on batteries. The only thing I need to know about batteries is if it won't hold a charge, replace it.
I have found a school, Bates Technical, that is about an hour away that offers an easier curriculum for my welding ATA. It also offers sheetmetal, machinist, autobody, and automotive classes I would be interested in.
Now here is the dilemma, should I finish up my degree here, or finish up the classes that will transfer to Bates and then transfer, or just transfer at the beginning of the next quarter?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I went to Bates myself and felt I got a good education there..dunno about the transfer situation..just when you wish to do that..Has been years ago for me so I am not up on wha tis going on down there..I do know that if you are a graduate you can use the job board there and you can go back and take touchup courses if you like..Not for credit but then you still learned things..
Actually I learned as much chatting with the other guys between classes and looking up answers to questions that I did not know about..

OMT
Old 02-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would look at the cost of transfer, what you need to transfer and what Bates will accept from the other program. You will probably have to talk to a Bates counselor and see what Bates is willing to do. As for the English, well everyone need to communicate now and then. I have found out that even when I didn't think I would need something taught, later in life, I found I was glad to have the education/experience or wish I would have spent more time listening.
Sounds like you have a lot invested in the other school already up to this point. Finish one school and then add or get experience in the areas of concern somewhere else. At least then, you will have the degree paper from at least one place.

Dutch
Old 02-12-2006, 07:17 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman
I would look at the cost of transfer, what you need to transfer and what Bates will accept from the other program. You will probably have to talk to a Bates counselor and see what Bates is willing to do.
I haven't talked to anyone yet and probably will go down and take a tour of the place if I decide to attend.

Quote:
As for the English, well everyone need to communicate now and then. I have found out that even when I didn't think I would need something taught, later in life, I found I was glad to have the education/experience or wish I would have spent more time listening.
For the ATA there is only one English class required, which is English Composition. My welding theory instructor and I both thought that I would test high enough, as not to have to take the class that is a pre-requisite. Well I didn't, which means there are two English classes I have to take. My thought though is to bone up and retake the test before the end of the quarter and see how I score. I don't mind taking one English class, but not two. I am 47 years old am getting a damn late start at this. However there are still other class that count towards the ATA that I would like to take; Human Relations, Technical Drawing, AutoCad, Applied Problem Solving, and Welding Metallurgy.

Quote:
Sounds like you have a lot invested in the other school already up to this point. Finish one school and then add or get experience in the areas of concern somewhere else. At least then, you will have the degree paper from at least one place.

Dutch
My ultimate goal is to own my own Hot Rod and Custom Car shop. I'm not too sure if a degree in welding is necessary, unless it would help my get into a shop after I finish all my schooling. There is like one welding class, Weld103, which is the third class in stick welding. All it does is prepare you for the structural steel welding test. A test I probably will not be taking. So that would be a waste of time and money, unless I were to go for the degree. I would rather prepare for the sheet-metal welding test for my Weld103 class, however the program director won't do that. I have already talked to him.

I was looking at the following classes at Bates. Let me know your thoughts as if I'm on the right track;

Basic and Icar Welding (I might be able to skip this) 11 credits
Shop Welding 6 credits
Repairing Body Panels, Fenders 16.5 credits
Aligning, Replacing Panels/Components 11 credits
Aligning Body and Frame 13.5 credits
Engine Repair 25 credits
Engine Performance 25 credits
CNC Milling I & II 12 credits
Advanced CNC Milling 10 credits
And maybe some classes on the Lathe

As you can see I won't be getting out of school 'till I'm pushing' FIFTY!!
Old 02-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I don't know anything about the "credits" or the programs. If those were regular college credit hours, there is enough for an associates degrees there.

I hated English in college, but I am really glad I took it. It helps me communicate with the rest of the world a little better.

For a business (hot rod shop) you need some business courses. There is a lot more to it than just building cars.

I would recommend taking some of the CAD courses as well, even if its just something for later. Anything that gets built, gets designed at some point (usually on a computer now days).

I teach AutoCAD (2D and 3D), Inventor, and Architectural desktop at two local colleges. We tie our drawings into the CNC machining (not the architectural ones). Most of the local businesses are doing the same. Either rapid prototyping or actual machining of parts is done this way.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:23 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_B
I don't know anything about the "credits" or the programs. If those were regular college credit hours, there is enough for an associates degrees there.
That's what I mean. I don't want to be taking classes that aren't necessarry to accomplish my goal.

Quote:
I hated English in college, but I am really glad I took it. It helps me communicate with the rest of the world a little better.

For a business (hot rod shop) you need some business courses. There is a lot more to it than just building cars.
About ten years ago I took two business classe, Intro. to Business and Business Math, in which I learned how to do payroll and Accounts payable/recievable and such. I did pretty good at it and have kept my texts so I can brush up. I imagine there will be more down the road that I will be taking.

Quote:
I would recommend taking some of the CAD courses as well, even if its just something for later. Anything that gets built, gets designed at some point (usually on a computer now days).

I teach AutoCAD (2D and 3D), Inventor, and Architectural desktop at two local colleges. We tie our drawings into the CNC machining (not the architectural ones). Most of the local businesses are doing the same. Either rapid prototyping or actual machining of parts is done this way.
Next quarter I will be taking Technical Drawing followed by AutoCad the next, which I already own 2006.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Old Salt

Last photo:

One other note, when applying for financial help- who do you think the folks will help more, someone with or without some paper saying they are able to complete their goals. Unless you know some influential folks with $$.

Remember, anyone can have a skill but everyone needs to know how to communicate with others to get ahead. Case in point, there is a gentleman I know that headed up a plastics division - no plastic divisions prior to this point - he didn't know anything about plastics and had folks with technical degrees working for him, why? Because he could communicate well.

Good luck on your choices.

Dutch
Old 02-13-2006, 09:27 AM
ATA Welding Technology

Quote:
One other note, when applying for financial help- who do you think the folks will help more, someone with or without some paper saying they are able to complete their goals. Unless you know some influential folks with $$.
Dutch
The influential folks with $$ is the bank. I have a small grant, $150 +/-, and the rest is from student loans. I'll have to borrow the money for those extra classes, which I would rather not do.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I feel your pain, but each college program has specific courses you have to take to get a degree, and you're stuck with that. If Bates has a better program, go talk to them and see what you will lose in tranferring. Might not lose much, and if the courses are more to your liking might be worth it.

Have you checked into the CLEP program? That's "College Level Examination Program". You study on your own and test for credits. No score is given, just a pass or fail. Check it out at http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...lep/about.html. Sounds like you could get your English requirement out that way. Tests are $55 each (pass or fail). If you do fail one, you can re-take after a six month wait. Read up on all of it first! I've CLEPed three courses (humanitites, speech... and the other was so long ago I can't remember which now!) for my two associates degrees.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:21 PM
ATA Welding Technology

I guess what it boils down to is; I've been kinda asking if a degree in Welding would be beneficial to reach my goal as my own shop owner. And from what I am getting from the replies is yes. And what about the other classes that I'm interested in at Bates, am I on the right track on what I should learn? Or should I add or drop something?

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.