Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I need an expert opinion
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedup12 View Post
I have a 68 mustang with a 289 that's been bored .030 over with forged internals all balanced, the deck has been trimmed down .01, Holley 570 street avenger, edelbrock rpm air gap intake, hooker super comp headers, a c4 with a Hughes 2200 stall converter and am in the process of putting a 3.40 gear in the rear end. I plan for this car to be a street strip car, something very street able but something I won't be ashamed of at the track.
70% street , 30% track

The suspension is completely redone along with all new steering components.

The real question starts now, what would be the best head and cam combo because what I have now is no where near matching each other or my stall. I want heads that'll fit with my intake and be in its powerband range and also fit my headers and I need a cam that will match with the heads and the stall I have.

Right now the heads and cam don't match, the heads are over ported and leaving no velocity, the cam is a pbm can that I know nothing about othe than .498 lift, and the valves and rocker arms are stock.
A buddy of mine has a 302 with a 100k+ mile stock bottom end with a Ford Racing roller cam (E40?.. its apparently a popular roller cam for a sbf) and a set of GT40 heads with a weiand stealth intake and carb and runs really good. Its in an 80s foxbody with a T5. Last weekend he was running mid 14s at 97 mph with no tuning on the carb or dist with a bad bog off of the line (next weekends project).

Whats your budget look like? If its not a lot go pull a set of gt40 heads off of an exploder from the yard and have them rebuilt and throw in a roller cam to match the heads and intentions of the car.

Otherwise there are plenty of aftermarket aluminum heads available for a sbf.