I need help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2008, 04:25 PM
oldfordtrucker's Avatar
Registered User
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 52
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need help with my 351 windsor

I have a 1974, 351 windsor and the heads have pressed in studs with 5/15" fine threads. I need help finding roller rockers for this motor.The heads are early 70's the block casting #'s say the block is out of a 1974 galaxie 500.


Last edited by oldfordtrucker; 06-09-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 703
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Um 5/16, why not just replace the studs? Talk to your machinist if you're not sure. 3/8 is the least you could do for it. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
onebadmerc's Avatar
I need a bucket of arc sparks
Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florence Colorado
Age: 45
Posts: 901
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comp cams and Crane use to make a roller rail rocker for the sb Fords, I wouldn't waste my time on them. The reason why, is the rail rockers put side loads on the valves and wear the guides out. Rail rockers will also push down upon the retainer and pop the keeper loose if you put in a cam with too much lift. The last reason for not using rail rockers on post 68 heads is that the rockers are non adjustable. If you are serious about these heads, have a machine shop pull the pressed in studs and install screw in studs and guide plates. Then you can use a conventional roller rocker, but a set of hardened push rods will also be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.