I need help helping a good friend... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 06:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I need help helping a good friend...

A friend of mine has been deprived of his 1999 Chevy Venture van, and rotten luck is to blame.
This past April his 7 month pregnant daughter-in-law borrowed his van to meet up with her husband who was home on temporary layover in Texas, on his way to wherever he was soon to be restationed while in the military.
He gets it trip worthy and has everything checked out (not mechanically inclined), and lets her go south.
She calls from somewhere in Texas saying she is having trouble.
She lets a Chevy dealer look it over while she rents a room, this is the last I hear of her throughout the vans' problems which have only begun. Congrats she has a baby and I didn't hear what it was.
The dealer lets her know "its the engine", finds out she is not the owner of the van, says they can't do anything until they hear from the owner.
He calls them and all they say is "its the engine- you need a new one".
He tells them he has the full warranty (not the manufacturers warranty), so go ahead and do what they have to do.
The dealership mechanics call the warranty company and are told to pull the engine to find out if its covered, they would only send out someone to inspect the engine AFTER its pulled.
The warranty company is located in California, my friend is still in Lakewood, New York, and the van is still in Texas.
The mechanics pull the engine, the company says they are busy just wait until they send someone out. The van sits for a month.
The claims dink comes out finally and says its a covered claim, but they didn't need to pull the engine, thats' not covered, they won't pay. The dealer is charging $15 per day storage fee???
My friend goes to court to get the engine, gets it alright, by this time (I don't know when) his storage fees are up to around $1200 so the dealer won't pay their mechanics to do the work until the storage fee is paid up. He goes back to court to get the storage fee eliminated as it's not his fault it hasn't been fixed yet, he's 1600 miles away and can't just come down whenever.
By the way he hasn't seen the van since April.
He is successful in only getting the storage fee reduced down to $5 per day, still nuts if you ask me.
I have since been told the new engine is still in the crate (in the van), with the transmission and front driveline and engine cradle.
And he has been it will sit untouched until the storage fee is paid in full.
He wants me to build a hoist to pick the front-end of the van up to get it on a trailer (he doesn't have), and have a friend of his who will be taking him and the trailer (we are trying to find by now) down there to pay it up and haul it back up here.
I need to know if anyone can help me and my friend John Mitchell out, I have also found out that my ex-brother-in-laws brother does dealings with a man with a flatbed truck that makes trips up to this area for engines to take back down to the Dallas area to sell.
He usually makes the northward run empty, we just might need some help from some friends in Texas if we could.
I will post more details on the pertinant information as I get it.
If anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area can help out LET ME KNOW.
Matt
M&M CUSTOM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2003, 09:34 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm about 160 miles from DFW but I'd be happy to do what I can, If my truck was running, I'd go get it for you..... damned ford.
if you want a place to put it together, your welcome to my shop, if I ain't got it, I will when I'm through......
Old 08-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

At this point I have yet to get the address of the place where his van is at, but I should be getting that tonight and will post that tomorrow morning.
We REALLY need some one to go and see what this thing needs to at least get the front wheels mounted so the van can be moved with a car dolly.
We will work out a trade with anyone who can mount the front wheels back on this van so it can be put up on a dolly.
He has made plans to make a trip down there to try and pick up the front of the van and slide a trailer under it to haul it back-BUT he hasn't gotten a trailer yet.
He has only this far gotten a friend from New Jersey to provide a deisel pickup truck to make the trip with him.
AND he has made plans to make the trip down there on September 7th, without all the little major details being worked out yet.
He is just so mad that he has a van he hasn't seen or driven since early April of this year, and he still owes $11,000 on- so he can't just let it set.
If anyone can help out at all PM me at n3yvg@westpa.net
Matt
Old 08-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I just got through talking with John and getting the other pertinint info on his van.
It is now located at:
Dealer Auto Auction of Dallas Inc.
2717 East Main Street
Grand Prairie, Texas 75050
1-972-339-4100 OR 1-888-833-3223
The total he owes in storage fees to get it off the lot is now
up around $1375 FOR STORAGE?
I might be able to get a flatbed truck to haul it up here, as
my brother-in-laws' brother lives down around there and knows a guy that makes empty runs north to pick up engines from this area.
I know the van won't be released until the fees are paid in full, BUT can anyone get in there to work on it to get it ready to haul out when it is released?
I will try and talk to these people tomorrow and get what information I can get and see what else I can do for him.
I am willing to trade or locate anything I can to help him out, just name it. He has helped me out a lot in the past and its just a return favor for the help I got.
Matt
Old 08-28-2003, 07:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

John called again last night and stated He was going to have trouble with going down to get the van on the 7th as the finances aren't quite there yet to get it out of the yard.
This only means I can help out with any means I can for a little bit longer.
John and I are also involved with the amateur radio community and are trying to secure what help we can from that hobby too.

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 08-28-2003 at 07:34 AM.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.