I need help......real bad - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2002, 12:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post I need help......real bad

I have been in love with cars since before i could walk, but because of the town i live in, there hasnt been much chance to expand my knowledge, so if i want to learn anything new im stuck with the net for now..Anything with 4 wheels gets my attention from strip cars, to drag, to street, but i will take a V8 american over an import anyday of the week. I am still interested in learning about about both and although i know most of the learning is done hands on, im looking for as much help as possible.....if you can help me then please, post any replies or mail me : chrisgnr@hotmail.com......Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2002, 05:05 PM

Total: Hang in there, most have learned by doing. I would tinker with anything that had a engine like a lawn mower, motor bike. Read a lot of magazines, Car Craft is good because they do a lot of hands on articles for low budget. Maybe try to find and old car for cheap $$ any just start playing around with different componets. Try to find a six cylinder without much extra equipment and try to keep it simple and stay posted here. GOOD LUCK Dave E Shank davesr@trianglesalesusa.com
Old 06-25-2002, 05:10 PM

Dave Thanks for the pointers, sounds like a good way to start so i will definately use em

p.s keep them coming people, i appreciate this alot
Old 06-26-2002, 11:51 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

subscribe to rags, spend a 1/2 hour a day on this site, read a book on rodding engines, go hang with somebody who has a hot car who might live around you are need some help. find somebody with a pile of old crap engines laying around an see if they care if you look thru it or take them apart, walk thru junk yards and you can see every engine made is some state of disassembly. i wouldn't waste time with high dollar parts stories, e.g. hot rods "bolt on 750 Horsepower" article that consists of one part a $15,000US Hemi engine. Yeah, i know, what's a hemi. gotta go
Old 06-26-2002, 05:09 PM
All Throttle...No Bottle

Thumbs up

I think bullheimer hit the nail on the head but you might want to also check out a few car shows (if there are any in your area) because not only will you see some hot cars but the guys that are showing them are usually more than willing to tell you, in detail, everything that they have done to their rod (ask questions as they go). It will also fuel your fire and make you want to build something of your own. Ever hear the old phrase "if it aint broke, dont fix it"....well, you'll find that rule doesnt exist in hotrodding. Dont be afraid to dive right in head first, but beware...its addictive. Later, HRS10
Old 06-26-2002, 06:08 PM

Came to the right place, T.N. This site is a great source of information! There are many very talented and friendly people here. Find a buddy in your area that has a cool ride, someone who is good with machines, any true rodder will help you out. Dont feel like your asking a dumb question, your learning.Read, wrench, read, wrench, read, wrench, repeat after me! How are ya on tools? For now, dont go with an ultra-high dollar name, just use good judgement.

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: 72 chevy ]</p>
Old 06-26-2002, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

My advice is to buy some old car with a v8 in it. it doesn't have to be too old but try to avoid engines with a lot of computer crap in them. I just turned an 87 firechicken with a 2.8 liter into a firebird with a 5.7 litre 350. and it wasn't too bad but i got wires up the ying yang hangin around in the engine compartment. so buy a car and a book on it and just rip it apart and figure out how to put it back together. make sure you buy it cheap. just in case you screw it up. It would help if you had a friend or something that is knowledgable about cars to help you. I learned buy helping my friend and getting my hands dirty. hope i could help
Old 06-26-2002, 10:58 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I say get a V8 $50 wonder and a few books.Take it apart and w/ the help of the books learn the workings of the car,engine etc...Don't be afraid to Ask Qs
Old 06-29-2002, 08:09 PM
Great '48 Bow Tie

Talking

TotNov, I came from a small town myself so I know first hand what you are talking about. There must be a garage somewhere near you or at least a service station where you can hang out, maybe even work there, what a bountiful supply of knowledge you have at your fingertips.

When I was 15 yrs. old I bought a 1940 Chevrolet for $45. It ran reasonably well, I was lucky enough to have a garage right in front of my home, so every time I had a chance I would be hanging over the fenders and under the cars with the mechanic asking question after question. It was a super learning tool that cannot be surpassed. By the way I tore the Chevy apart and put her back together with little help. Wish I still had the car. The car I'm working on now is a '48 Chevy Fleetline. Good luck to you. Al

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.