Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I need intellegent input concerning HP ratings.
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I understand what you say! I cringe every time I here the kid in the shop next to mine says "all of my motors have 650HP they cost me 5K". I know better having tuned them for his engine builder who states the rated HP off of a desk top dyno program. His builder tells me they should be 420HP realistically because of the early camel hump heads the kid wants to run. They are lucky if they have 380HP in chassis with my built in dyno our Lord gave us after tuning.

I know how much you have to spend to get real horse power having spent 22K total for 560HP out of a Boss 302 Ford (twin turbo-ed in the early 70's, 65K total to get 981HP out of a 481CID BBC(dual stage nitrous injection) in the late 80's. Both were engine dyno tested. This Corvette (in my pictures)was 405.5HP in chassis 4 years ago, and it is much faster now(he now calls it his Screaming Yellow Zonker). It is going back for a re-dyno later this summer
after suspension replacement changes to the 35 year old parts.