I need more time, rust delay/preventative if not ready for paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009, 08:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I need more time, rust delay/preventative if not ready for paint?

I'm cleaning up the inside of my cab during a rewire and see a lot of surface rust and some points of penetration (along with plenty of hackjob body work from previous owners). I'm nowhere near ready to do a full sandblasting, bodywork, and paint on this thing but thought I might be able to take a sander to it, get rid of the surface rust and then put some sealer on it to prevent it from becoming a block of swiss cheese over the next few years until I have a place and time to take it down to the frame. I've heard POR-15 thrown around whenever rust is a concern but is this really what I should be looking to use to contain the current rust and prevent additional cancer?

Thanks!
Alden

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 AM
boatbob2

Por 15......

Hi,i have had problems with por-15,i would sand areas with 80 grit to get rid of the rust,then 2 or 3 coats of a 2 K epoxy primer. my 48 ford coupe has neen primered with dupont DP 90 for 4over 4 years,NO SURFACE RUST.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Most of us use epoxy primer as when you get ready for paint you can just sand it to get some tooth and paint over it..yeah if you are not done done nor have the facilities of Foose it can be a pain..maybe you can just work an area and then spot prime or like we did on one a guys 38 Olds we went ahead and blasted it an put it in epoxy primer..He is a happy camper as he now has been working on the metal work for about 3 years now and has not been concerned about the re-rust deal..he just primes the completed metal patches and then carries on to the next spot..

Sam
Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Google Ospho ....Ive been using it for years,sand blasting is messy and if your wiring the car you really dont want that kind of mess ,especially if the drive train is in it.use a 3-4" wire cup on an angle grinder watch it disappear it drys as a primer that protects bare metal until your ready to prime.just read the directions.I'd rather chemical strip than blast any day.then ospho and prime when ever your ready.Por 15 and all those other rust cures dont work,this does.$15.00 a qt enough for 3-4 cars...
Old 11-08-2009, 07:28 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

You shouldn't have problems applying por15 over it. Waiting for it to dry appropriate amount of time and then apply epoxy primer for UV protection if it's exposed. I have coated entire trunk floor in my Charger 6+ years ago and it's nice as the day I've done it still, I can put up some pictures if you don't believe. Most of the time when someone says it doesn't work usually didn't follow procedures to the spec.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:07 AM

Heres the problem I had with por-15 after I wire wheeled it and cleaned up the rust,I used it and thought it worked well too but after a few years it came back with a vengance, everything ruined...You have to stop the rusting process, simply spraying something over it just covers it up and traps it until it breaks through.now in about 5 seconds someones gonna say Ospho doesnt work ether and I'll have to say the same thing but I've been using it for 25 yrs out of the 35 I've been restoring cars and its proved itself over and over again ...So ...I guess I'm just saying that Por-15 works AND it dont.six years isnt very long ,it takes longer than that to build a car for a lot of people that do it on the side.The nice thing about Ospho is it doesnt matter how you strip the car this will keep it from rusting until your ready to prime,inside or outside and its for clean metal or rusted metal...You wouldnt put Por-15 on a car that was striped would you? Everybody uses epoxy primer...Ospho etch's bare metal and preps for epoxy as well as it disolves rust.This is what I do for a living and I swear by it,so take it for what its worth.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sure I'll be back with some more questions as I go through this thing.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Also, the following wiki articles may be helpful to you:

Rust
Epoxy primer
Rust encapsulators
Old 11-10-2009, 06:15 AM

Check out "riot racing's" project journal he's got a rusty car hes fixing up.Anybody that has rust should give it a look....

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.