I Need A Muffler!!!!!!!!!! - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Tazz

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Don't bother to buy one of those.......

I have heard NO sourse that says those things are any good...save your money...better yet give your ride a tune up with the money.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Do the right thing...

Well...

Well that didn't sound that bad. I have heard better though. This kid had a nissan pickup that has a straight four in it. it sounded like a fast and the furious car. The muffler was a CHERRY BOMB too!! It was terrible!
Old 04-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Do the right thing...

It's all gimmicks!

I had a feeling that it wouldn't do anything. I mean it's just a piece of metal in your intake! Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:33 AM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

These have been around ever since Shep was a pup. Didn't work then don't work now.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Do the right thing...

Thrush or Super?

Does anyone have a particular preferance over a Thrush turbo or a Dynomax super turbo? I have heard that they are the same muffler but with differant names, but they are both made by walker/Dynomax. I want to know about what they are like before I choose which one I want off the shelf of my local advance auto parts store.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

I'd be more likely to use the Super unless it was just for a vehicle I didn't plan to keep. The Dynomax catalog lists flow rates for the Supers, but not the Thrush, which makes me think the Supers might be better. The Supers also have a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Do the right thing...

Hmmmmnnnn...

Well someone posted that both mufflers were the same with slightly different dimensions. But I have a hard time choosing something that I think is important. That's why I look for reviews and listen to experiances of other people to make decisions on products. But thanks though.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:09 PM

Look online to see if you can listen to audio clips and if theres any difference in sound. Is there any difference in price?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:16 PM

I hope I'm not grave digging, but...

Bronco,

If you like the cops after your butt every time you just breathe on the pedal, your best bet would be a Super Turbo II (make sure it's the one with the exh. following an "s" pattern in the case) to the biggest case dimensions you can fit. Even if this means getting reducers. Get the muffler as close to the back of the truck as possible. You can omit the tail pipe leaving only the muffler outlet. 2 1/2" inlet and 2 1/2" outlets will work great. This is what you accomplish:
1. The bigger the muffler the deeper the exh. note due to the size of the sound chamber (Think Subwoofer box.)
2. Deleting the tailpipe will allow the "sound chamber" to be as close as possible to the outside world.
This is what will hurt you:
1. The smaller your pipe dia. the higher and wimpier your note will be. not much you can do about before the muff. so fix after it instead.
2. choosing a muffler with only baffles and chambers ie: Flowmasters and their clones. So, get one with both ie: Super Turbo II
3. Choosiing a mufller with a straight through or close to straight through path (like glasspacks and the even the rectangular case variants. ask to see a diagram of the muff.) This allows the exh. pulses to "bark" causing the annoying sound many ricers have. So, again, get a Super Turbo II
I had a 2.4L Porsche 944 4cyl. that set off more than its fair share of car alarms with this type of setup and it sounded tougher than my 67 Camaro with a 350 running dual 2 chamber flowmasters and all 2 1/2" pipes. Remember, your V6 has close to the same bore and stroke as any smallblock V8 so the note can be just as deep. It will just sound a little different due to the lack of 2 cyls. Then again, the sound should be smoother than a V8 because you have 6cyls per pipe outlet instead of the V8's 4 per outlet.

P.s. Don't blame me if you get pulled over for "racing" somebody just because it sounded like you were flooring it!
Old 04-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Do the right thing...

Don't worry about me racing. I have to wait 2 more months. (If I commit an excessive speed violation such as racing within six months of receiving my license, then I will lose it immediatley. By the way, I was surprised to find out that my pipe diameters are much bigger than I thought. The inlet pipe is 2 3/8" outside diameter. So the inside diameter is 2 1/4"! I wanted to use a flowtech terminator muffler right after I read about it. Now that muff will slide right inside the pipe without a reducer! Never heard of a super turbo II!? I have heard of a turbo II made by cherrybomb, but I don't like cherrybombs. They don't last. Thanks though.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Do the right thing...

Hear it is again...

I know that I have said this before, and let me apologize. I have said that my chosen muffler would be a Thrush. I must have been stupid to have thought that my pipe diameter was 1 3/4". The inlet inside diameter is 2 1/4". I want to use a Flowtech Terminator muffler now. I can still pick it up at Advance auto parts, it only costs about $15 more than the Thrush, and from what I have read, it sounds like a beast even on a v4! Has anyone used these mufflers?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Do the right thing...

The super turbo costs more. I havn'e been able to use sound clips because my computer doesn't have speakers. I have to use someone else's comp with speakers to listen to clips.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Thrush Mufflers

Im not up to speed on the particular muffler series numbers but Thrush has been around since Moby Dick was a minnow. One of the older companies.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

Bronco...the only way your gonna have any idea what its gonna sound like, or if it sounds good or not is to try it...thats all there is to it.
Its even less likely to find someone who has used that muffler on a 2.8 Ford V6 who could even attempt to tell you anything. what 1 person thinks sounds good, the next wont like anyway. give it a try, its all you can do
Old 04-15-2005, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

BoncoII,You might try www.ford-truck.com ,they have a section for the broncoII and also therangerstation.com

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.