I need an opinion here.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 10:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I need an opinion here....

Hey guys, nice board.
I recently purchased an engine from a major race engine builder who I'll leave un-named. It was a high end 434 aluminum block at 520 hp for my Boss Hoss. Anyway, the whole sales experience was great until it came time for their part of the deal.

The engine was delivered late and I had driven 2200 miles to get it. I spent 7 extra nights in the hotel waiting. The engine cost me about $1000 extra to get running because of a missing flex plate and an MSD Ignition box and coil that wasn't included. They sent the wrong carb and charged me shipping both ways as well as a couple hundred to make up the difference. They charged me $250 extra for an aluminum oil pan and when I got it, it had a powder coated steel pan on it.

When I fired the engine up, over the course of a couple of weeks I had to repair 4 oil leaks. 4 pan bolts and an intake leak, major.

This engine was portrayed to me as a 'turnkey' engine and had been dyno'ed, supposedly. They didn't send a dyno sheet, startup instructions, what oil to use, nothing. Just an engine in a box with a folder full of stickers and aftermarket advertisements.

This engine was so badly out of tune that I had to drop 4 jet sizes and am still diddling with the carb to make it run as it was getting 10mpg, in a bike.

This engine cost me $15k plus.

Is this what to expect from a race builder??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Chasing dreams with a ball bat

Last photo:

I bought an engine in a crate once, too. Didn't have near the bad luck you did, but it was several months late, the block had been welded on where the starter bolts on, and the timing cover had to be resealed.

I would say I wouldn't buy another motor from wherever you got that sucker. Yikes. I'm sure they aren't all like that. I would have included the name if it was me. Don't want anyone else to fall victim to the same builder. Word of mouth hurts. Maybe they'll get the point.

I say if you want something done right, do it yourself. That's what I did this last time and it's worked out better me.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:36 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

With that kind of service and craftsmanship you should have just let them keep the damn thing. I don't understand why you kept it.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:15 PM

Last photo:

The problem is that They're in New York and I'm in Alberta. I drove to a bike dealer in Lima Ohio and had them ship it to me there so I could broker everything across the border. I didn't find out all the problems until I got home.

They made me wait a week in Ohio and then wouldn't even overnight it when it was ready. When some businessmen get your money, the game changes big time.

Beware.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.