I need a plan for steering box on 1930 with v-8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Riley

Last journal entry: 1927 international
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I need a plan for steering box on 1930 with v-8

Well...I am about to put the motor in when I realized the factory steering box on my 1930 truck is now in the way of where the motor should sit. I need someone to give me some leads on how I can adapt some steering components to the truck. And no,I'm not using the same front suspension nor same rear end that are in the picture. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

well I couldn't get the picture to come up...but it's in my photo section if you want to look. Thanks.

[IMG]1930 truck[/IMG]

Advertisement

Last edited by Riley; 08-05-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: picture won't come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I used a Mustang box on my 30 model and side steered it but the best way is to use a Vega box and cross steer it. Do a search on this site for Vega box and you should find some info.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley
Well...I am about to put the motor in when I realized the factory steering box on my 1930 truck is now in the way of where the motor should sit. I need someone to give me some leads on how I can adapt some steering components to the truck. And no,I'm not using the same front suspension nor same rear end that are in the picture. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

well I couldn't get the picture to come up...but it's in my photo section if you want to look. Thanks.

[IMG]1930 truck[/IMG]
You don't say what engine you are planning on installing. If installing a V-8 engine, the 1.5 ton Chevy truck steering box may interfere with the driver's side exhaust manifold. Replacing the stock exhaust with headers may give you the clearance you need. Installing the engine slightly higher will also give you additional clearance.

You say that you have swapped out the original front suspension. What are you using now? This may determine what you need to look at as far as the steering box.

If you are running a Ford style front suspension with the cross spring and solid axle; for side steering I would suggest a '56 Ford F-100 box or an early Mustang box. I do not recommend running a reversed Corvair box as it is too light for your truck. If you wish to use a cross steer box, then the Vega is very popular and a good choice. The Unisteer (a rack & pinion steering) can also be used for cross steer applications. It has slightly less travel than the Vega box though and this should be a consideration as it will increase the turning radius.

If you have installed an independent front suspension (like a Mustang II), you will probably have clearance issues with the front fenders and your steering is somewhat limited to whatever IFS you have selected.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Riley

Last photo:

Well the engine will be a 302 ford engine hooked to a 4 speed automatic transmission. Installing the engine higher sounds logical...but I wonder if The hood will hit it or not. Okay agin, the front suspension is from a late 40's model chevy truck. Leaf springs and all. I also have that steering box. I was thinking about using a rack and pinion from off of a 1990 something pontiac car. But....I need some ideas for how to mount it.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Riley

Last photo:

what the heck is the diffe rance between side steering and cross steering????
Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Well the engine will be a 302 ford engine hooked to a 4 speed automatic transmission. Installing the engine higher sounds logical...but I wonder if The hood will hit it or not. Okay agin, the front suspension is from a late 40's model chevy truck. Leaf springs and all. I also have that steering box. I was thinking about using a rack and pinion from off of a 1990 something pontiac car. But....I need some ideas for how to mount it.
That style of rack & pinion MUST be attached directly to the solid axle in order to work. It will not work correctly if mounted to the frame. I'd suggest you not use that steering.

As to the engine to hood clearance; you should be able to mount the engine quite high in the frame and still have plenty of clearance at the top. Since the older Chevy's were somewhat narrow, there may be some clearance issues at the hood sides. Mounting the engine a little back can help in this area as the hood is wider towards the rear than it is in the front.

Quote:
what the heck is the diffe rance between side steering and cross steering????
Side steering will have the pitman arm on the side of the frame (usually pointed down except for when using a later Mustang box which will have the pitman arm pointing up) and perpendicular to the ground. This is connected to a steering arm on the left (driver's side) spindle to push/pull forward or back to control the steering.

Cross steering has the pitman arm mounted parallel to the ground and usually pointed forward. It is then connected to the right (passenger side) spindle arm to push/pull sideways to control the steering. For a solid axle car with a cross spring setup this style of steering will require a means to reduce side to side movement of the front axle. A panhard bar is most often used for this. A solid (no shackle) spring mount on one side can also be used instead of the panhard bar.

Since you are using an early Chevy suspension and springs (two parallel springs running from front to rear), you will not need a panhard bar. Either cross steering or side steering can be used. The original steering is side steering and if the box is in good condition, it can be used. Many later steering boxes have internal reciprocating ball bearings and better internal ratios that will give an easier (less effort) and more pleasing steering. Using a larger diameter steering wheel will also help reduce the effort.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Don't discount the good old Corvair box. they are easily reversed and are a good compact slug that replaces most old parallel drag link type steering boxes very well. Most popular is the aluminum version but there is also a cast iron version (somewhat stronger than the aluminum) that is much cheaper. there are two versions of the latter - one with a stub splined shaft like the aluminum one shown below

Stock behind, reversed in front. Bore a hole in the screw cover, plug the old hole in the case and flip the internals over. Very simple.

These are a little more expensive due to the sexy short shaft. There is one version with a long shaft that no one wants and can be obtained dirt cheap.

The latter can be converted to a short shaft by having a machine shop cut a double D for not much $$ that a Borgeson joint will fit.

I've heard all the rumors of these boxes blowing up but in 30 years of rodding I have never heard of or seen an example of that happening. I have been running an aluminum 'Vair box on my hemi powered Willys for decades and it seems as happy as a peach (whatever that means?!)
Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

offset engine

in addition to mounting the engine higher, you could also offset it to the passenger side.
Many cars came out of Detroit that way, stock.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I always set my engine over at least 3/4 ths of a inch off center in my 1932 Fords. Gives a little more room for the steering shaft.

Chevrolet also installed a exhaust manifold that tucks in and back ... for additional clearance. I usually use a set of these also.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.