I need a remote power booster - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 12:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I need a remote power booster

I've recently purchase a 25T with 289 Mustang engine and tranny and Corvette rearend and 4 wheel disc brakes. I received some information from the seller but 1/2 of it was incorrect. It is currently up on blocks getting a new wiring harness and I want to take care of some mechanical problems. I had the remote power booster rebuilt but it came back faulty (new problem created: it locked up all 4 disc brakes). Now I'm running manual brakes but it takes a lot of pressure to stop because of the pedal ratio. I can either have a new pedal with the correct ratio welded into place (not much room) or I can go back to a booster assist config. I've updated from a fruit jar master cylinder to a dual chamber mc. I can only find 2 remote booster units, 1 in Calif which measures 11x24 which may not fit behind the running board to frame area and 1 unit in Conn but they did not give dimentions on their website. The unit in Conn is about 1/2 the price as the Calif unit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 05:35 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Parr Automotive in Oklahoma City used to carry a remote booster that is tiny and works fine. I used one for years attached to one of my pickup bed cross members. I sold the booster when I re worked my PU or I would mail it to you.

Trees
Old 10-17-2005, 08:16 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

Have you looked into the electric pump acuumulator type? You can mount it anywhere you can fit and run lines to. I have never used one, and prefer manual brakes, but here are a couple examples:

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/remote_booster.html
http://www.abspowerbrake.com/InstEHP.html

I dont know if that helps, but figured I'd toss it out there.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Hydroboost boosters are very small, powerful, and reliable. They could be plumbed to/from your p/s pump too, I'd think.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

I need a remote brake booster

Wow! Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.
Here is what I've learned.
From YesGo: ECI hot rod - They are the ones I mentioned as being in Conn and all of their units are on backorder for 1 month. Size is slightly smaller that the west coast boosters.
From YesGo: ABS High Power - Looks promising and I will call them first thing in the morning. Their units look small and that is what I need.
From Trees: Parr Automotive in Oklahoma City look promising, too. I will call them in the morning also.
From 66GMC - Hydroboosters look promising and I'm on the internet checking them out. Small is what I need.
Thanks to all of you.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:34 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

You have power steering on a T? Well, you can run a PS pump just for the Hydroboost if you don't. The beauty of a remote booster is it doesn't need to be mounted on the firewall. It's like a hydraulic clutch setup -- the fruit jar is the MC, there is a slave cylinder activating the remote booster. Mount a fruit jar MC on the firewall, the remote booster carries a double MC. It can be under the turtle deck or gas tank in the rear -- virtually ANYWHERE you have room. Put the booster wherever you can/want to (reservoir need to be accessible) and plumb the lines accordingly. The lines to the front brakes can be longer than to the back -- steel line length has no impact on braking.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:44 PM

Last photo:

Remote power booster.

There are several solutions that I've come up with. I found a long push rod set up in the ABS Brake Catalog that might work. If I can move the booster-MC back about 15-18 inches, it's away from the tranny and there is a lot more room and all other parts are OEM and a lot less expensive. Second solution is less elegant. Since I had the old single booster rebuilt, I could hook it up to the front brakes and buy a 2nd booster (about $100 on ebay) and plumb it to the rear brakes. One of the really expensive systems available in Cal does this when space is really limited. Since the body is a Fordor there is no trunk or rear deck so the boosters have to remain under the car. While there is room, I do not want the units "hanging down below the frame" and that is a slight problem. Thank you all for your suggestions.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nprfan
From 66GMC - Hydroboosters look promising and I'm on the internet checking them out. Small is what I need.
Thanks to all of you.
Have you been to http://www.hydroboost.com/ ?
Be sure to check out the multimedia section, too.
Don
Old 10-20-2005, 01:03 AM

Last photo:

Remote power booster.

Thank you 66GMC - Loved those movies of the Vettes laying rubber then screaming to a stop. Fun. and thank for the Hydratech.com reference. Looks like super quality product and SMALL.
To bring you all up to date: I had that horrible problem with a mechanic or brake-rebuilder shop (I don't know who rebuilt the booster) rebuilding the booster and then claiming they did it right. It cost me more than a month and lots of homework on the net. I picked up the booster today and was discussing with a old mechanic friend that I was going to use 2 boosters, 1 for the front and 1 for the rear. He said lets look at that booster...and guess what? I don't need a 2nd booster because it has one in-port and 2 out-ports (1 for the front and 1 for the rear). I had assumed that all that old hardware was all outdated. But that Midland had some future built into it. All I have to do is re-install it and run the 2 outs to the proportioning valve and I'm back in business...all updated from that old jam jar single jug mc. Best part is my saving lots of $$$ that I can spend on improving other issues like paying the guy that's doing the wiring harness. Thanks again for all of your suggestions.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nprfan
Best part is my saving lots of $$$
Yup, that's (almost) always good.

I'm sort of "in the dog-house" at the present ... a lot of you will be able to relate.

I'm changing jobs (from NAPA to Ford Parts) and have my project pretty much at the "rolling chassis" stage. I have been scrambling to get it back together before I leave and have been putting a LOT of new parts on it while I can still buy them cheap. Unfortunately, it's put me WAY over budget ... I think I'm done until after Christmas ... in fact, I'm sure that this WAS Christmas for me.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:08 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

"Since the body is a Fordor there is no trunk or rear deck so the boosters have to remain under the car. While there is room, I do not want the units "hanging down below the frame" and that is a slight problem."

Not really. Put it on the floor behind the rear seat, sort of in a corner... well, I guess that won't work on a T, as the seat is all the way against the back of the tub... Looks like the Hydroboost is going to be the best option. A PS pump won't detract from looks or anything, especially if it means you can stop now!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.