Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I Need some diagnosis help
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
No holes in them makes me think hail. Since you can get to the underside, you might be able to work them out with a hammer and dolly after you have blasted the bondo out. An old friend of mine used to take out hail dings by making little circles around them with a acetlyene torch, but I don't know if that works on old damage.
First I looked at where your from and then the pictures...and I first thought hail as you did Bob...but, the damage is too perfect and too uniform to be hail damage in my opinion...hail will leave round indentations in metal but, not that perfectly round and in the last picture you have three dents that are almost perfectly round and the same size...if I was an adjuster looking at this damage from an insurance point of view it would look to me as though someone was trying to emulate hail damage with a ball peen hammer to collect insurance money or get a free paint job.

Is there any other similar damage on the body or are you only stripping the roof?

Damage like this can sometimes be repaired with an acetelyne torch but that is a bit of an art. If you don't have decent access the remove the dents from the under side of the panel, filler is the way to go. If your looking for a more factory job, replacing the roof as mentioned would be an alternative.

It would be interesting to see if there is any similar damage on the rest of the car like the hood or deck lid. If you have the same damage on both sides of the car, (doors quarters and fenders) it's most likely vandalism...hail very rarely hits both sides of the car and is a common mistake made by people looking to benefit from an insurance claim.

Ray