Hot Rod Forum banner

I Need some diagnosis help

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  carolinacustoms 
#1 ·
Anybody know what these dings on my roof are from?

Alot of them still have filler in them, plan on using my blaster to clean them out better when I get a chance.

Was thinking hail but they kinda look like spot welds. Also my whole roof is kinda rough. I think I will try to save some money and get a Harbor Freight stud welder to try to repair it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
With what I can see of them, they are looking like holes punched with an awl for pulling a dent out with a slide hammer.

Can you see from the inside? I am thinking you are going to find a "bondo worm" hanging down. :drunk:

Brian

#8 ·
No holes in them makes me think hail. Since you can get to the underside, you might be able to work them out with a hammer and dolly after you have blasted the bondo out. An old friend of mine used to take out hail dings by making little circles around them with a acetlyene torch, but I don't know if that works on old damage.

#13 ·
We are looking at pictures and it's always better to give advice when your actually there, looking at and feeling the damage.

From the pictures I feel a stud puller would help minimize the amount of filler...however...the dents look fairly deep and the metal would be stretched...heat would be an option to shrink the metal along with a stud puller would also help reduce the amount of filler you would use.

Ray

#14 · (Edited)
Yes, the metal would be stretched, but the stud welder heats the metal which causes it to shrink. You ever see anybody use a stud welder without the studs to remove "popping" metal, I believe they call it "oil can?" It works pretty nice. I do have a shrinking disc i have used many times as well.

Yes, you are right. The fender had damage that looked like it got attacked by a pick hammer.(only drivers side) I spent quite some time shrinking and beating it before slapping filler over it.

I got the car up in Damascus in PA, my buddy lives up in that area. The guy i bought it from said it was a California car which was sold to a guy out in Pittsburgh and eventually under his possesion.

Me and my father were wondering if some angry ex girlfriend of a previous owner went nuts on the car or something of that sort. The pick hammer marks were all concentrated on the fender wheel well portion.

Its funny the things you find when you strip a car. Under my seats was some old Barbie with Barbie and Ken stamp set. The stamps still worked too.

#15 ·
Yes, and that's the reason I asked about the rest of the car...it did look like willful damage to me.

The stud welder does heat the metal, I agree, all I'm saying is that the depth of the dents are to the point that all you can hope for is to shrink the metal somewhat to minimize the amount of filler your going to use. It sounds like you know what your doing so what I'm telling you is probably a mute point.

Some of that vintage Barbie stuff is getting quite valuable...LOL...maybe you can sell them and make a down payment on a stud puller...LOL.

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.