i need some help. battery keeps going dead. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 10:39 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i need some help. battery keeps going dead.

i'm having trouble keeping my battery from going dead. i can put a new one on it, & 3 weeks later it will be dead if i leave the battery cable hooked up. it's done this ever since i've owned the car. it a 85 ss monte carlo. when i got it, it was just a body. i bought it from a guy i knew & told him to keep all the extra's because i already had every thing that would work (engine, trans, rear end & wheels). i've had the alternator checked several times & it checks out good. i've tested to see if the battery was being drained by some thing with a test light. when i touch the test light to the battery post & the other end to the unhooked cable it will light for just a second. i figure that is the radio memory. i just have no idea where to start looking. i'm tired of it looking like a piece of ***** when ever i kill it & then unhook the battery. thanks all.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 01:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Drain

Doc here,

Quite common problem in GM..

Since you have eliminated the possibility of a drain as a source, that leaves 2 other posibilities...

Is the Charge actually reaching the battery?

And Is it the right voltage?

To answer both, get an accurate volt ohm meter, set it for Auto range, or 50 volts, Fire the car and measure across the battery...It SHOULD read between 13.75 and 14.4 volts at any speed...

If not , Check your cables for tight, clean and good bonding...No corrosion.

Next check the alternator for a proper ground...If it's on an aluminum mount bracket and is powered you have an electrolysis problem..

To cure this pull the mount, clean it (water-spray or sand blast it) get some bonding grease for aluminum wire, and apply it to the mount bolts..and reattach it.

Then locate the ground wire on your block...should be at or near the starter..Run a 10 gauge black wire to there from the alternator mount bolt..run another 10 gauge from there to the firewall, use star washers, burnish the paint, and be sure it's good and tight...

Start it again, and check the battery voltage, did it come up to 14.4? If not, then the diode pack in the alternator is probably shot...(regardless of what they tell you) Replace the diodes or the altenator...a reverse bias leak on those diodes will cause a small draw from the battery, AND the problem is two fold..because the diode (1 of 3 or 6) is bad...is allowing a few volts AC into the system, thus dropping the available DC voltage for charging..by 2 or 3 volts...or more..meaning the battery is not topping off as well as draining while just sitting a few days.

Two other possibilities exsist...Some GM's had a separate fusible link on the main alternator power wire..you need to check to see if you have one, and that it is not open.

Do you get a "Batt" light when you first turn the key on? If not replace the bulb..some GM charging systems will become disabled if the bulb goes out...I have no idea if yours is this way or not...but if it's out..it's a good clue...

Doc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.