Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I need some help with my 350 Chevy engine...
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 09:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_v23
I would have to agree with the rods being out of round, the crank not being balanced or the engine builder set it up with excessive clearance. If the bearings were set up at say .0045 to .005 play and a high pressure pump was used to compensate for the oil pressure drop I think you would see these patterns after some time.
It wouldn't be apparent right away but once the bearings started to wear the problem would get exponentially worse. Good thing you caught it when you did though or it would have ruined the crank eventually.
Yes, that makes sense. Was the crank balanced? I have no idea. The engine idled and ran smoothly at all times.
Now that I have opened it up I see holes on the counterweights of the crank in places, and in other places on the counter weights I see raw weld filling a portion of some of the holes. The result of balancing? Is that what the factory does? Somehow it seems like a raw way for a manufacturer to finish something like a crank.
One thing is for certain.....the bearings are shot after only 15K miles, and that is just not right. I have baby-ed this engine and changed the oil every 3000 miles, and always using a new filter.
I see felt tip markings on the rod and main caps denoting measurements shown in the thousandths, so somebody did some measuring. If they went to that trouble you would think they would have fit up the engine correctly. Apparently not though.
That is one more reason I have decided to try to do it myself. People are willing to take your money, but reluctant to give you what you have paid for. Oh well, it's live and learn regardless what our problems may be......pg