Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I need some help with my 350 Chevy engine...
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74chevy454
piniongear i agree with u there are alot of people out there that will give u a shotty product and then u are *** out in long run, and would have been better off doing it urself. Its almost like then reused a crank instead of giving u a new 1 but it is hard to tell when u have 15k on it but I am really interested in seeing the crank pics. I had a rod halve up on me cuz the guy over torked the whole motor it was amzing that it lasted as long as it did........hmmmm know thinking about it my rod went about 3 months or 15k something like that cuz when i bought the motor guy said there was 5 on it so really 10k and then i put 5k on then it went and destroyed the crank and rod but saved the rest some people are just not honest to bad to here that about #5 and u do take some great photography.
I think that the rod pin got so hot that its probally not the exact same as others now.
Yes, I have to wonder about that pin in hole #5. No sign of any extra heat but then I have not removed the pin yet either. The #5 big end bearing was so worn out that I am astonished that it knocked only when the rpm was up. I guess that is just a sign of how these engines can take a beating and still keep running on.
With the rods removed I can grab the harmonic balancer and give the crank a spin and it still rotates after my hands leave the balancer. In other words, it turns freely.
My next step is to remove the crank and we will see what that brings to light.
Before I took anything apart, I went over every bolt and nut to check what they were torqued at. Everything was exactly correct with the torque values stated in the factory repair manual.
More photos to come within a few days. I have to get a balance removal tool and some pullers for the cam and crank sprockets before I can make much more progress..........pg