Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I need some help with my 350 Chevy engine...
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by piniongear
Well guys, all I can say is this:
One lifter out of the 16 had damage. The other 15 are flat bottomed and unmarked.
All lifters slid smoothly in their respective bores.

You are saying the metal from this one lifter (the cam shows no damage just looking at it) did all that damage? I think that is a bit of a stretch myself. There was absolutely no metal grains anywhere inside the engine when I pulled it down.

As for the oil and filter business, I change the oil every 3000 miles and put a new filter on at the same time. Let's see, I have done 5 oil changes in the 15000 miles on the engine and it was ready for the 6th,
The pan drain plug has a magnet on it and it has never had any steel attached to it. Yeah, I know, a magnet does not attract copper and other bearing material. But whatever material that came off the lifter and cam, is called steel.

I think there is another cause for this early failure and I also believe it has to do with the person who built this engine.
I will take it to an automotive machine shop tomorrow and have an expert look at it. I am curious to see what he has to say (if anything) about what may have caused the failure.........pg
It looks like debris came from some where and if they reused a stock oil pan they are impossible to get them clean with the tray in them. We hardly build any stock type engines but the performance ones we build for our circle track customers you could put the old bearings back in if needed.. even after 2 or 3 years of running.

There again if the pan was not new and the filter bypass was not plugged bearings will look like this.

Beleive me we have seen engines over the years that the bearings looked worse then that and the cam was not wiped out. At least on street engines plug the bypass for at least the first 6000 miles, The street performance engiene we have built are all plugged and no issues so far.