Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I need some help with my 350 Chevy engine...
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 03:17 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
This is for Tom and Carl.

What happens when you start grinding down an engine with a blocked bypass valve? Does the filter just plug solid and eventually blow up? If the filter plugged solid, wouldn't the pump just begin bypassing too, but still showing high oil pressure?
Just trying to figure out the benefit of plugging the bypass, other than keeping crap from getting into the engine. Seems that if you are having an engine failure, you either pass the crap throughout the engine, or plug the filter and starve the engine and melt it down. Kind of a crap shoot? LOL

Mark
It takes an awful lot to plug a filter. You'd know long before that that there is a serious problem. I see way too many engines with serious damage that would have been otherwise limited by using a plugged by-pass. It's also very important to use a magnetic drain plug 'cause that will give the first warning of cam or other ferrous-based metal damage.

I do not recommend plugging the by-pass on stock, daily-driven vehicles that are used in cold weather.

If the original poster would cut open his oil filter and run a magnet through the pleats, he may gain some insight as to what went through the engine.

tom