Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I need some help with my 350 Chevy engine...
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine shop tom
What kind of oil did was the cam broken in with, what procedure was used, and did you know that Fram oil filters have a very bad track record?

tom
When I first put the engine in three years ago I used 5w-30 Valvaline oil and mixed 1 quart of GM Engine Oil Supplement (p/n 1051396) to the oil pan.
Then I used a drill to rotate the oil pump for 2 minutes and had a pump pressure reading of 55 psi from the Melling High Output pump.
After that I installed the distributor and started the engine.
I ran 250 miles with this mix in the pan. The I drained it, replaced the filter with a new Fram, and drove it another 1000 miles.
At that point I drained the oil again and new filter. After that the oil and filter was changed every 3000 miles.

Yes, I have heard the Fram oil filter stories, but... a history lesson:

I bought a new El Camino in 1965 and ran it for 242,000 miles.

My next car was a 1973 Chevy pick up that I ran for 117,000 when the harmonic balancer came loose and damaged the crank.

Third car was a new 1979 Chevy van. I ran that one for 188,000 miles.

Fourth was the one I have now, the 1992 Chevy van with 200,000 miles on the speedo. 15,000 of those miles was done with this POC engine.

That total is 4 vehicles in 43 years with a collective total of 747,000 miles and Fram oil filters were used 100% of the time. Never had a bad one.
Sorry, but I choose to believe my first hand experience over some fable of Fram being a bad product. You would have to prove it to me first.

I just got an engine that some greaseball threw together. What amazes me is this guy is still in business after 18 years............pg