Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I need some help with my 350 Chevy engine...
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 08:49 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by piniongear
As I have said in previous posts, my engine has a Melling High Output oil pump.It sits there idling and the gauge reads 55 psi. I call that high enough.
The engine is in a van, not a dump truck or wrecker.
Most of the driving is at 75 mph out on the highway, so while that is not a lot of rpm, it is enough to get me a ticket if I'm not careful.
I have used 5-30 since the day it came out. As I said in an earlier post my driving time is 43 years with 4 different Chevrolets covering 747,000 miles.
I use either Valvoline or Pennzoil and a Fram filter and nothing will change my mind on that........pg
I have had 3 first-hand and 3 second-hand (personally knew the guys with the problems) with Fram filters.

The pictures of your lifter bottoms is consistent with improper cam break-in oil, pre-lube, procedures, or a combination of those.

The lines in the less damaged bearings came from very small foreign material circulating through the engine. The more damaged bearings exhibit symptoms of bearing distress caused by particle damage that compromised the bearings' load carrying cababilty.

The fine scratches in the cylinder(s) came from material from the cam lobe and lifters.

That HV pump is doing nothing to help you.

I will take my 30+ years in engine repair and 25+ years in machine shop experience and leave you to your extensive background.

tom

Last edited by machine shop tom; 07-17-2008 at 08:02 AM.