Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I need some help with my 350 Chevy engine...
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Eldoradoboy......

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldoradoboy
my main point here is a couple things.
1] just because the pressure at the gauge sender is high doesnt mean we have oil everywhere..
2] I would have certainly thought we would see some kind of oil pressure changes with worn out bearings like these.. we have bearings that have had to add .005 - .010 or more in tolerance to the journals... thats a lot of area for oil to flow through and reduce pressure...
-Christopher
What you say makes sense regarding the oil pressure being read at the pump.

Now we all know how worn out these bearings are. So yes, there was less restriction than when the bearings were new. (Well, maybe not in my case here ) but you are right.

I understand pressure, volume flow etc, but I think the pump was still letting all of the bearings get plenty of oil, even though the gaps were massive.
If the oil was insufficient, then I would think there would be some blue spots indicating over heating in some part of the engine, but there is none of that anywhere.

I have to lay the cause of the problem at the feet of the guy who did the build of course. What I would like to know is what this person failed to do properly when he built it?
Today I finally have everything loaded in the truck and will head to the machine shop shortly. If here is any earth shaking news from them I will post the info for you guys to kick around.........pg