I need some help please sbc lovers...... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I need some help please sbc lovers......

Hello everyone I need some help and Im hoping someone out there with sum engine knowledge can help me. I bought a 86 buick regal two years ago and it had a 307 olds motor in it. after the motor blew i searched for another motor, and was told to go with a chevy 350. So I found a sbc 350 on craigslist for 1200.. The guy told me it was a rebuilt motor out of a 71 camero pushing about 350 horsepower.. Me being young and not knowing any better took his words and ran with it. I put it in with a 700r4 tranny behind it 650 edlebrock carb shorty headers dual exhaust edlebrock preformer intake and installed a 480 lift lunati camshaft. It runs good but it aint no damn 350 horsepower lol. So I ran the block casting number and "3970044 " and couldnt find anything on it.. So i called the chevy dealer ship and they told me the motor is out of a 73 malibu. I looked up the specs and it was like a 146 to 165 horsepower 350 motor.... I was like WHAT!!! Well to be honest it feels more than 165, maybe 200 after the headers exhaust intake and carb... I been thinking about buying some aftermarket heads maybe vortec. Can someone please tell me if I will see a change if I get these heads. I already have a 373 8.5 rear under the car.. If I decide to go aftermarker could I use the same pistons? Will i have to bore the motor? how can I tell if Its really been rebuilt? I just want about 350 horses. Can someone tell me about this block? Someone please help me I will glady appreciate it. Cause i only have 1500 bucks and need to know which way to go... thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 09:05 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Pop the valve cover and get the casting number off the head that you have, we can start from there. P/N on the cam wouldn't hurt either. Specs from the cam card would be a bonus. Is it the .480/.480 292/292 that's at summit?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lu...make/chevrolet

Not a bad cam, but the heads on that 350 could really be from anywhere. This is a 40 year old engine at this point. If your heads are low-compression wheezers with small valves, then it's working against the cam you have. Which it sounds like that's the case. Once we establish what you have to work with, we can suggest what direction you can go in to reach your goal and remain practical.
The Following User Says Thank You to Valkyrie5.7 For This Useful Post:
jessejones473 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 PM

Take it out,take it apart,check what parts are in there,,,start from there.
re: horse power,,,everyone has either 500 horse power,or a stock 375 hp engine.
most 500 hp engines(claimed power) are usually below 400.
Its very simple math and parts matching to get the power you want,,,,everytime you substitute a generic or bargain house no name part,you risk having a little less power than expected.
I always think building for reliability and endurance is important if building on a budget.
IMO all blocks need to be decked/squared and align honed and all reciprocating parts need to be balanced.choose the bolt ons after the basics are done.
good luck and welcome to the forum
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
jessejones473 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 PM

yes 5.7 its a 290 lunati cam and it sounds good.. after some research i was told its a motor out a 73 chevelle with 76cc heads and dished pistons. i was told i could easily change the heads and pistons to get alot more power... and I appreciate yall help you to Vinnie... i was trying to keep from taking to motor apart cuz it runs so good and im sure its been rebuilt a few times since 73. but your right i need to check them heads to see what i have but i been told the casting numbers dont mean nothing, if i dont know whats been done to them
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 PM

My dad told me to order a crate engine from summit from the start but i tired to go cheep, and now i invest money in it and wanna keep it
Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 PM

drive it as it is then and enjoy.When you have the time and ambition,you and dad can take it out,run it to a decent rebuilder and ask if you can watch the assembley and take notes and measurements
Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 PM

yeah that might be my best bet. But i get tired of them guys pulling up beside me in them mustangs and smaking the gas lol
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 PM

If yall dont mine go to craigslist nc and go under greensboro nc and look at 86 regal and youll see the car its blue and light silver its a grand national clone. the descripton says 86 regal for 5800. its on youtube to under 86 regal
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM

just post the links
Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 PM

new to this dont know how Sorry man. smh i know i know
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM

i figured out how to up load pics and images tomorrow, dont really feel like messing with this lap top right now
Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 PM

will check back tomorrow.ttyl,maybe tech will jump on this tread tomorrow(math wizard)
Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 PM

ok appreciate it
Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

A smog era 350 with dished pistons and 76cc heads will be nominally 8.5:1 static compression ratio, in actuality it's probably less. The Lunati cam you've installed has too much duration for your compression ratio and will result in a VERY low dynamic compression ratio about 6.5:1 or less, which will kill your low end power
Old 05-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Definely a case of too much cam. To make power, you can't think of a engine as one individual part makes all the power. The engine combo has to be compatible to work together as a team to make max power. I think you said you had $1500 you could spend. If that's the case then the solution is easy. Get a summit racing cam and lifter kit part number SUM-K00052. This cam has .218 duration @.050 and it works with a stock converter. It has a nice lopey idle.
Next get a set of Summit racing Vortec heads, a new double roller timing set if need be, a Vortec intake and a set of small tube headers. Just by changing your game over to this combo you'll be astounded at the difference in power it'll make. However it still would be of benefit if you yanked a valve cover off and tell us what the heads casting numbers are so we can get a better idea of what were working with here.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.