I need some input on putting a Ford rearend under a 1972 Dodge Dart - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I need some input on putting a Ford rearend under a 1972 Dodge Dart

I have a 1972 Dodge Dart with a 318, 904 auto trans and a 7 1/4" rear end. The problem I have is the rearend is worn out and howls like a wolf. I have searched the local salvage yards and could only find a 8 1/4" rearend under a 73 Scamp. I need to do something before I frag my poor little 7 1/4" rearend under my 72 Dart.

This is what I am proposing to do, I want to put my Granada 8" rearend under my 72 Dodge Dart. I found out today that my rearend under my 77 Granada is not a 9" but a 8", I noticed this while I was pulling the motor. I guess I deserve this because I assumed it was a 9" rearend, I won't assume anymore. Back to the matter at hand, I don't want to fix the 7 1/4" rearend under the Dart, they suck and they are weak. I really don't want to pay $80-100 for the 8 1/4" under the 73 Scamp, this rearend isn't much better. I then thought about it today and wondered if I can put this 77 Granada 8" rearend under my 72 Dart. The dimensions on the 7 1/4" are almost the same as the 8" but there is about a 2" difference in where the spring perches are at between the two rearends. The bolt pattern on the 72 Dart is 5 on 4" and the Granada is 5 on 4 1/2". I heard 73 and latter Chrysler Products are 5 on 4 1/2" pattern which is suppose to be the same as the Ford 5 on 4 1/2". I was planning on going to the 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern on the 72 Dart when I do a disc brake conversion. The other problem is the drive-shaft, I though about taking the back half of the Granada drive shaft and having it welded onto the Dart drive shaft. I would then have the drive-shaft shop either shorten or lengthen it and do what ever is needed. Is this going to be feasible or am I going to cause myself alot of headaches trying to do this. I really don't want to hear you cannot put a Ford rearend under a Dodge because it will devalue it or why put junk under a superior Chrysler Product. I figure if it will fit and work why not do this since this would be hotrodding. Any ideas on this?????? any input on this matter would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2005, 11:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

rearend whoes

just want to know why you think the dodge rearend is less superior than the ford. i raced with 8 inch dodge put it to hell and back tortured it every way i could and that rearend is still going under my 81 dodge van after i replaced the bearings and a few odds and ends still running the same crown and pinion. the car it was in was a 68 cuda 340 figured around 350 to 400 hp that diff took a lot of pressure and never fizzed it a bit.all im saying is you rebuild the rearend you have under the car now. its going to save you all the trouble in trying to fit the ford under.and believe me if you do decide to keep the original rearend it will take the abuse.been ther done that . let me know how you make out.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

My thoughts exactly. The Ford 8" is OK for a mild street engine but the Chrysler 8 1/4 was found in pickups and heavy duty vans. It's a strong rear and can handle most healthy small blocks. I wouldn't put one behind a big block but for everything but all out racing with a small block it should be more than adequate.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
I have a 1972 Dodge Dart with a 318, 904 auto trans and a 7 1/4" rear end.
I put 9 inch Fords under everything I build.......
But I agree with the other gentlemen....fix the Dodge rear end, or go to the better Dodge rear . I would GET a 9 inch.....leave the 8 inch where it is...

Old 12-21-2005, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

The reason I don't like most Chrysler rearends is because of the C-Clips and nontappered wheel bearings. I would love to have a 8 3/4" for my 72 Dart but finding one is next to impossible. When you do find one for a A Body, the person selling it thinks it is dipped in gold. In mild performance and drag racing the Chrysler 8 1/4" would be fine, but anything that put lateral loads on the C-Clips and the nontapered wheel bearings would turn this rearend to junk. This is where the Ford 8" rearend is alot stronger, no C-Clips and it has tapered roller wheel bearings. I noticed both Ford and Chrysler use the Bendix brakes so I didn't think this would be a problem either. On the other end of the spectrum the Dana 60 would be overkill, plus the additional weight would not be welcome. I guess it would be better for me to Ebay the Ford 8" and take the Money off of it and buy the 8 1/4" out of the 73 Scamp. I appreciate the responses I received, I did't mean to come off as rude last night so I am sorry for this. After I pulled that stupid 302 out of the Granada yesterday my back was hurting alot so I took a Vicodin and was kind of out of it when I typed this up.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Ford 8 inch and most every Ford 9 inch except the very heavy duty models all have pressed on ball type bearings for rear wheel bearings.
Of course the Ford 8 and 9 do not use C-clip axle retainers.

Ford 8 inch rears are 57 1/2 wide with 43 1/2 springs as are most 9s until the late 60s.

I run the Ford 8 in some of my hot rods, one doing 400 hp at the rear wheels with no traction.

If I were you I would rebuild a Mopar 8 1/4 with a C-clip eliminator kit if available and then convert my front end to 4 1/2 bolt circle to match. There are a gazillion of them out there with C-clips that have had no problems whatsoever.

The easiest way to tell a Ford 8 from a 9 is to look at the bottom bolts holding the pumpkin into the housing. If you can get a ratchet and socket onto the bottom 2 bolts it is an eight. If you have to use an end wrench it is a nine.

Last edited by xntrik; 12-21-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

To tell you the truth xntrik, I honestly didn't think Ford put 8" rearends in the Granada's until yesterday. I noticed this when I had to pull the drive shaft off and low and behold was a 8" rearend under my 77 Granada. If the salvage yard in Pueblo still has the 8 1/4" under the 73 Scamp in a month I will get it and put it under my 72 Dart. The only problem I will have then is the back will be a 5 on 4 1/2" pattern and the front will be 5 on 4".
Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
To tell you the truth xntrik, I honestly didn't think Ford put 8" rearends in the Granada's until yesterday. I noticed this when I had to pull the drive shaft off and low and behold was a 8" rearend under my 77 Granada. If the salvage yard in Pueblo still has the 8 1/4" under the 73 Scamp in a month I will get it and put it under my 72 Dart. The only problem I will have then is the back will be a 5 on 4 1/2" pattern and the front will be 5 on 4".
Ya, the nines were the rare ones in the Granada. Most people don't know that in 80 the Monarch that were decked out like the Versailles, came with 8.8s on leaf springs. I had one, and I know where there is one parked right now.

There is a disc conversion for the front of your car, but I am not enough Mopar to remember what it is off the top of my head.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.