I need some sound advice from all of you!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 11:44 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I need some sound advice from all of you!!

Hello,
I didn't know who else to turn to and I have been posting this message at several hot rod sites for some help. I am undecided at best over this incredible car on Ebay. I really want to by it, but I am unsure about buying anything on ebay. Here is the link to the car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...15062QQrdZ1But here is the issue. I have a close friend who knows the seller of this vehicle. He has been to a few car shows with the seller in the past. Well this friend said that he talked to the seller of the car and was able to get the reserve price out of him. He said it was 65,000; but his buy it know price is 85,000. Is this normal or it the person selling the car trying rip someone off? It is a really nice car, but I am worried about the seller if there is such a wide gap in the reserve and the buy it now price. Is this normal?? I am not familiar with ebay at all. Please give me some advice about the car. I have 70,000 for it and I have been looking for one just like this one; but I don't know what to do, if I get it for 65-67,000 I think I will have bought in incredible deal however;; I don't know about ebay!
Thanks,
John M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I need some sound advice from all of you!!

In my opinion if you know the car, if your friend knows the seller and you like the car and are willing to buy it go for it. You should not worry about Ebay as the seller and car are known to you. The main problem with buying on Ebay is not knowing the car or the seller. As for the difference in the reserve and the buy it now price you shouldn't worry about it. It is not uncommon for the reserve to be a lot lower than the buy it now price. All this means is the seller is willing to take $65,000 for the car if the bidding gets that high but he will not take a lower price. The buy it now price is placed high so if someone really wants the car and is willing to give that price he doesn't have to worry about losing the bid. As the bidding goes past the reserve and gets closer to the buy it now price someone who really wants the car and does not want to lose the car will jump up to the buy it now price to make sure he gets it. The seller is not trying to rip people off but trying to get as much money as he thinks the car is worth.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

richard stewart 3rd

what's wrong with you, e-bay isn't the problum it's the unknown seller, however his rating is 100%, & e-bay is backing him up some, plus your friend knows him, I would have no problum with this sale. as for the buy now price, because he feels he could possibly get that much or more if the bidding gets hot, why don't you just put the reserve bid in & hope you get it.
good luck,
rich
Old 04-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Auction buys

Remember when buying or selling anything through an auction there are the auctioneers fees to consider..Plus the time and trouble to go through an auction.What this means is that often if a seller can find a buyer privately and save the hassle and fees of the auction process he can accept a lower price..

Sam
Old 04-10-2006, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

Well the way I see this is there are 2 options.

1- bid on ebay trying to buy it
2- Go directly to the owner and buy it.

You have to be care full about option 2 because of ebay rules, but I see no problem if you wait till the auction ends and then approach him about the purchase.

Just my 2 cents

John
Old 04-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Shannon

Wow, that's a great-looking '57. I'm a little curious why one of the pictures shows it on the beach with palm trees, and the rest are in snow/or at a show. It would also be interesting to know if he (Travis) bought it from "57redsled" (according to his history he bought something from 57redsled a while back, but it's too long ago to tell what).

My suggestion is to call the guy up and find out as much as you can about the car, its history, how long he's had it, is it a Bel Air or a clone (don't know if that matters), how much he paid for the car, what he's got in it, any problems (i.e., how come the A/C is not installed and will it fit without a lot of problems), anything not working or squirrely, has he had any other offers outside of ebay--generally anything you can. At that price range, you want to be sure you're getting a good value, or at least that what you're getting would be worth it to you. Assuming you think it is worth it (and maybe someone on this forum could give you an opinion?), with your friend's permission you might tell him your friend thought he would take about $60K for the car--see what he says. Maybe he'll flat out tell you his reserve. You might ask him if it doesn't sell on ebay, what would his bottom line be.

Then, assuming you still want the car, you've got some decisions. One choice is to hope it doesn't get above his reserve and the auction ends with it being unsold. Then you could negotiate with him directly, either based on what he has told you or the information you have from your friend. The advantage is you might be able to buy the car at a relatively attractive price, perhaps even below his reserve. The drawback, of course, is that the car may get bid up over his reserve and you may lose out on it. It's hard to guess what is going to happen on this car. I notice there have not been any bids for a couple of days now, but many people do hold off until the end. However, it's been my observation (and please just take this as an opinion), that 9 out of 10 or even 19 out of 20 street rods I've tracked on ebay have never met their reserve. It strikes me that a lot of bidders only want the car if it's really a killer deal (understandable in that in many cases you are buying a car sight unseen). Still, it's risky if you just gotta have this particular '57.

Another option is to figure out the max you're willing/able to pay (did I hear $70K), and put in a bid up to that level. Ebay will automatically outbid anyone whose maximum is less than that, but only by $100 I think. In other words, if someone has a maximum bid of $66K, your bid would not take the amount to $70K; it would just go to $66,100 (or whatever the next incremental bid amount is). Of course, if you put in 70K and someone else put in 71K, you would lose out. You might want to try $70,101, in case someone else is right at 70.

If you decide to bid, I recommend putting in one bid now a little above the current bid, because on big ticket items there is an approval process you have to go through and you don't want to wait to the last minute (I think you have to sort of "pre-qualify" with a credit card). One drawback to that is that it tips your hand that there is another serious bidder in the game, but there are already a couple so I don't see where that matters much. Then, maybe 5 minutes (or less, depending on your nerve and internet connection speed) before the auction closes, I would put in the bid for your maximum amount. That way, another potential bidder has less time to agonize over whether they want to go that high--who knows, they may be at work or something and can't react quickly. Also, you can see right up to the end what someone else is willing to pay, which may or may not matter to you. If the bid is still sitting around where it is now, my bet is that you will get the car at the reserve (assuming the reserve is $65K). Of course, if someone is sitting there with a higher maximum, you're going to lose, but hay, at that point it wasn't worth it to you anyway. Besides, $70K will buy a lot of car, so it's possible if you miss out here, you might find something else you like just as well (maybe with the A/C already installed! )

I apologize to everyone for this wordy response, but hope it helps. Let us know how it works out (I've already put it on my ebay watch list). Good luck!!. Shannon
Old 04-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

If you pay

What did you say..$70K for a car sight unseen you deserve to be taken!! Do the leg work...drive or fly or take a bus and look at your purchase to see your getting what you pay for!!!

Tazz
Old 04-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Shannon

Tazz makes a good point.

I'm assuming you know enough about '57s to know if this car is in the right price range for what it is, and that your buddy who has seen the car is enough of an expert to know that it's right and a decent value, and you trust his judgement. Even at that, you are probably better off hoping it doesn't go off at the reserve, and then going to look at it, and make your own decision and deal. Of course, you may not have the chance, as it might already be sold by the time you get to do that--there-in lies the dilemma. We happen to own a '57, but it's a driver and I have no idea of what true show cars are worth. Have you considered something nice and clean in the under $40K range? There are a lot of them out there (mine is in the under $20K range, and still needs quite a bit of work to be nice, but we saw tons of great stuff between 20-40K, and in that range you can't get stung too badly). Anyway, if you're even condidering this I hope you have studied your market--$70K is an expensive car!

As I implied in my lengthy post, I doubt if the '57 you're looking at will hit its reserve, but I would hate to see you lose the car of your dreams (if that is what this is) due to my intuition. As I said, you can always see what's happening right up to the last minute, and if it's not moving much, take a chance that no one will place a last minute bid. If it is close to or above the reserve, at least you know you have to take a chance if you want this car badly enough.

For what it's worth, there have been 4 cars I've seen online and was almost sure we were going to buy. However, we did go to look at them, and in 3 out of 4 cases we passed on them, even after going a considerable distance to check them out (in fact, we just got back from a 3,000+ mile round trip, pulling a car hauler no less, from Key West to St. Louis, only to not buy the vehicle). It can be very hard to tell from pictures and someone's description, so make sure you trust your buddy's judgement if you proceed.

Again, good luck!

p.s. In one case, we did buy the car and couldn't be happier with it. And in a 5th case, the distance to see it was just too great so we're buying it sight unseen--I'll post pictures and my opinion if we did a good thing once it arrives
Old 04-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Gotta love the classics

Last photo:

Let me start out by saying the 1957 bel air is my favorite car of all time and that ranks as one of the best looking I have ever seen. Pretty much what everyone else said, if your friend is a friend of the seller, you should be ok but take a trip to go see it before you buy it and who knows you may be able to buy right there. Good Luck that is one nice car...........
Old 04-11-2006, 11:51 AM

For that kind of $ get on a plane and go see it. I had to go all over the country to find mine and believe me pictures can lie but I ended up with a sweet vehicle.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Ricer Pusher,not Grill Guard

Beautiful car, indescribable, for the co$t, I would just go and look @ it, get a hold of him, it is truly a masterpiece...wish I bould afford it, and I would "buy it now"!!!!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:24 AM

Go see it. It's cheap enough. I had to take three trips to find mine. Pictures and people can lie big time. Also, cash talks. When I bought my Harley the dealer wouldn't meet my price until I layed out a stack of $100 bills.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Guys, the auction ended April 12!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

Next time I have a car for sale on Ebay Im gonna make a new member ID and ask ALL of you for your opinion.***sarcastic***
Old 05-23-2006, 10:46 AM

My reply still stands

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.