i need some suggestions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

i need some suggestions

ok I have a chevy 350 that I got from a friend.
i tore it down to the block so i could rebuild it how ever i want.(the engine has been sitting for at least 5-6 years)
the plan is to put that in an 87 mazda RX7(really small car if you dont know what an RX7 is), the car is already rear-wheel drive and set up for a manual.
as far as the engine i'm pretty set tword a 383 stroker build but thats about it. i dont know V8s that well so if you guys could help me out with picking parts, brands, that kinda stuff....that'd be great.
as far as power i want from the engine, i want to be able to roast tires pretty easly but still have a nice top end of around 120ish. i dont know if that helps but i thought id add it in there
oh yea, and this is going to be the car that i drive around so...yea
thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 PM

If this is your first build, you might want to stick with the basics and just do a 350. Either that or find a machine shop in your area that can help you out.
For parts, what heads do you currently have?
Assuming you are planning on running pump gas?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:17 PM

Last photo:

You need to set a power goal, an RPM bad you want to operate in, and a budget before you go any further. On your initial budget I would be conservative as it always costs about 20% more than you plan.

Also figure out which trans you'll be using, the amount of power it can take, and the rear gear/ tire setup you have.

AND REMEMBER YOUR CAM IS PICKED LAST TO MATCH THE REST!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:07 PM

yes this is my first v8 build but i know my way around a motor pretty good
to start with i'm going with the stock 350 heads but later on i'm getting different heads....my friend said to use a T5 tranny but i dont know anything about them....
i'm shooting for around 400 hp
and a rough guess for the the price range i'm thinking would be $3500-$4500 on the motor....i'm geting the car with the motor already out for $350 and its in really good shape too
Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 PM

The T-5 won't hold up unless it's the world class t-5.
I'm no trans expert, but I had the same one in a 95 camaro of mine and went
another route with it.

If you're pretty confident, you could skip the machine shop part and clearance everything yourself, that's a choice you have to make.
But the HP expectations and the budget are pretty reasonable and should be OK, if you didn't have to deal with trans issues.

My word of advice would be this.
Don't get too fixated on a HP figure. Lots of people claim lots of big numbers but have never been on a dyno. What they claim is 450 HP is probably 300, and that little car will do quite well at that HP level and be fun to drive, and that puts it still into the limits of the T-5.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev09
yes this is my first v8 build but i know my way around a motor pretty good
to start with i'm going with the stock 350 heads but later on i'm getting different heads....my friend said to use a T5 tranny but i dont know anything about them....
i'm shooting for around 400 hp
and a rough guess for the the price range i'm thinking would be $3500-$4500 on the motor....i'm geting the car with the motor already out for $350 and its in really good shape too
If you want the T5 to have a chance I would build a long rod 327 with flat top pistons and camel hump heads with a good valve. Job. Shoot for 10:1 compression, run an rpm intake and a solid cam with about 235/240 duration and .500" lift. You need low torque and that'll only give you a torque peak of about 325 (max on an OEM T5). It should also last a long time and take a 7000 RPM red line with ease. The build should run you about 2500 to 3000 dollars.

Most people will advise more displacement and a smaller cam but that will twist your T5 to pieces.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

The low weight of the car will help save the tranny... but I would suggest an entirely different course...

How about a Chev version of the New Process A833 overdrive box?

This will cope with the kind of power you're looking at, especially in a light car like the RX7, and will come with a bellhousing to bolt it up to the SBC engine.

I would also agree with keeping the engine the original size, but I'd also think that looking at alloy heads would be a help in this car.

After all, you will need to turn corners, weight up the front will be working against that aim. Work on weight like it really is... the enemy!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:29 PM

ok so scratch the T5...that was just someones suggestion
i'm not really set on any HP number or anything like that. that was more of a guess as to what it would be with the general ideas that i have...
at some point i was planning on getting alloy edelbrock heads, intake, and carb....(or some simular set up)
like i said tho i'm kinda set on the 383...if you can give me good reasons to go another way i'll deffenetly consider it though

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.