I need some weird wiring help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I need some weird wiring help

My ratrod will not have door locks, and only 1/2 doors ( even tho it will be/ is a closed cab ).. I want to take a series of 6 or more unmarked SPDT on-off-on switches, that need to be in the correct order before the ignition will turn on ( and stop it from cranking if possible ). but I would like a red LED on the dash and a green LED on the dash. if the order is wrong, upon switching the last switch ( which I think needs to be a SPST off-on? ) the red light will iluminate, but if the order is right, the green light will illuminate and the key can be inserted and engine started..

anyone got an idea of what kind of wiring pattern I might need?

I was thinking that if I took the second set of 'on's' would complete to ground but first go thru the red LED, and the 1st set would go in series with the green led and then to the key switch, or even a relay cutting main power to the ignition switch.. but I'm almost positive I'm missing somthing

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
My ratrod will not have door locks, and only 1/2 doors ( even tho it will be/ is a closed cab ).. I want to take a series of 6 or more unmarked SPDT on-off-on switches, that need to be in the correct order before the ignition will turn on ( and stop it from cranking if possible ). but I would like a red LED on the dash and a green LED on the dash. if the order is wrong, upon switching the last switch ( which I think needs to be a SPST off-on? ) the red light will iluminate, but if the order is right, the green light will illuminate and the key can be inserted and engine started..

anyone got an idea of what kind of wiring pattern I might need?

I was thinking that if I took the second set of 'on's' would complete to ground but first go thru the red LED, and the 1st set would go in series with the green led and then to the key switch, or even a relay cutting main power to the ignition switch.. but I'm almost positive I'm missing somthing
matt I seem to remember some thing along these lines from my early electronics.
to get your on sequence to work without relays ,whatever combination of switches you decide to use need to be hooked in series ,i.e. output of first switch in your combination needs to go to the input on you next switch in your combination so there is a voltage path tru the switches only if they are in the right sequence (on -off-on.....on-off-on ) with power applied with one switch in the up position and one in the down position and so on tru how ever many switches you want use with the green led being hooked to last switch power and to ground will give you a green light. To get power to the red led all is need is to supply power to the switches that are not in the combination and hook their output to the red led and ground the red led.How all of this works is ,you will get a green light if your combination switches are in the right position if not no light.,the same with the red if moved to the wrong position it will supply power to the red led. If you put this series of switches in line to your start relay or let it control a relay it will only start if all switches are in the right position. I have a book some where in my electronics stuff if I can find it I'll scan a copy and send it to you via PM. I hope I have not confused you it has been many years since I have worked on switching equipment.
If you get lost,post back and I help you work tru it .
Good Luck
Kenny
Oh ......The switch's do not have to be in a up/down sequence it can be any combination (up/up....down/up.....up/down...etc) if you use double pole double throw the center contact is where you would hook your hot power lead........

Last edited by Shelby1; 03-04-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I just thought that if the last switch was right, it would switch power to the ignition switch even if all the others were wrong. but I think the solution to that would be to create a paralell circuit that all the switches on the 'wrong' side dump into seperately, and then wire that into an on/off switch and then to the red led/ ground. that way it shorts the circuit to ground if it's wrong
Old 03-04-2010, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

elect switching

matt your last statement was shorting out???? not a good thing when talking about current going somewhere... u can use a series of spdt (3 screw points) switches to do what u need and wire anyway u want.. meaning the wire from the previous sw goes to the center of the next and so on... but the bottom line is make sure u can't look under the dash to see the backs of the sw's... its very easy to figure it out...
Old 03-04-2010, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

well short might be the wrong vocabulary, but what I mean is, if any 1 of the switches was in the 'wrong' position, it would just to carry the current to ground..
Old 03-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Spa Mercenary

Last journal entry: Updates July 2012
Last photo:

1st switch has to do an interesting trick. If thrown in the correct direction it has to send power on to the next switch just like others are saying.

But it also has to send power (in parallel) to the red led - no matter which direction it is thrown.

And the last switch has to also have a 3 functions. If thrown in the wrong direction nothing new happens but, if thrown in the right direction it sends power to the starter relay AND, it has to energize the green led and open the circuit to the red led so it turns off.

Not real up on my switch terminology but I think that means #1 and #6 switch are DPDT and the others can probably be SPDT.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

power goin to ground ?????

matt thats still a short.. the fuse will blow and you'll be dead in the water... i wondering if u have thought of hiding a sw of some sort... keyed, toggle.. even the big one that cuts the battery.. i don't know of anyone that carries one of those big keys with them.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Last photo:

Kiss Rule

Hey Matt, While there are plenty of different ways it can be done, I applied the KISS rule and drew this for you. Sorry its a little sloppy, but I was in a hurry. This circuit provides two bogus positions for each of six switches. I don't know if your switches will be top/bottom or left/right slotted, but anyway you get the idea.olnolan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hpsc101.pdf (120.8 KB, 170 views)
Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

thanks. seems simple enough.. I can understand it

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.