Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I need a step by step idiots guide. lol...
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 01:12 AM
No officer I won’t do it again

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Like everyone has said the 7.5 will withstand a 305 just fine as long as it’s respected. There were gm’s born that way 305> 7.5. If the 305 is built up and you are seriously hammering on it. It will grenade. There isn’t much you can do to beef up a 7.5. You can install a better carrier and gears but you are still dealing with a 7.5. If you ever decide to put lower gears in it make sure that you get the 3 series carrier. Do not install the lower gears that are designed to fit a 2 series carrier; they will have a short life. About the only bolt in upgrades for strength will be moving to the 8.5. They are very hard to find and can only be found in these cars. 1984 Hurst/Olds, 1985-1987 Oldsmobile 442, 1984-1985 Hot-Air Turbocharged 3.8L Regals, 1986-1987 Cold-air Turbocharged 3.8L Regals, About a year ago I threw a built 350 in an Oldsmobile Cutlass. I bought a used 7.5 auburn carrier from ebay and a $160.00 new set of Richmond 411 gears. I got two months of playtime before the gears chunked. I was so mad. I now have a $160.00 Richmond ashtray. Having not learned I bought another set, this time used. Same thing chunked again. Yanked the engine back out, sold the car to a kid that was in love with the pile of junk after he saw it doing roasties one day. I do want to say that the 7.5 probably would have lasted a lot longer with someone else behind the wheel. I gave it no respect what so ever.
Picture below is first day out with the car, don’t yea just love that green. And my expensive Richmond ashtray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guttless.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	11231  
Attached Images

Last edited by Twistedwrench; 03-29-2006 at 01:18 AM.