i need suggestion for suspension - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the tires, on those wheels, are just too wide for the wheel opening

if you got different offset wheels (more backspacing) you would be able to run that width, or maybe even wider tires.

but you can only do that, if there is more room on the inside, between the tires/wheels you have now and the inner fender/frame.

unless you make the susp. so stiff, that it doesn't move up and down, they are still going to rub----period!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 06:45 PM

Last journal entry: 41 chevy frame on the move.
Last photo:

meng,First let me say the tires are to big for this car.This is the factory tire size.Now remember this was the 60's with bias ply tire no radial tires.6.95x14.In today world this is equal to 185/75/r14.Now next the rear springs are "NO GOOD".New shocks will not help the ride height.I'll bet the previouse builder put in shorter springs in the front.Or he cut the stock ones down.Are the front tires also 15" or 14"?? Looking at them I'll bet there 14"You will need new rear springs,shackel bushings.Front springs will also need to be replacedalong with control arm bushings.I'll also bet all the front bushings are no good too.Now please don't take this the wrong way,but this car looks like a "PAINT IT AND PUSH IT OUT THE DOOR".I feel sorry for you cause you'll need do to some seriouse work to get the car rite.If you put air shocks in the rear,all its going to do is ride like a truck.You'll need to keep at least a 100psi in the shocks.I will also bet the car steer's funny on the road too.With the back jacked up like it is,the caster angle is way negative.I wish you luck with this car.
stefanP
Old 05-08-2011, 07:37 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

If you have a Galaxy axle it is too wide. If your tires hit the body you need a different offset of wheel or narrowed rear end no matter how weak the springs are.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanP
meng,First let me say the tires are to big for this car.This is the factory tire size.Now remember this was the 60's with bias ply tire no radial tires.6.95x14.In today world this is equal to 185/75/r14.Now next the rear springs are "NO GOOD".New shocks will not help the ride height.I'll bet the previouse builder put in shorter springs in the front.Or he cut the stock ones down.Are the front tires also 15" or 14"?? Looking at them I'll bet there 14"You will need new rear springs,shackel bushings.Front springs will also need to be replacedalong with control arm bushings.I'll also bet all the front bushings are no good too.Now please don't take this the wrong way,but this car looks like a "PAINT IT AND PUSH IT OUT THE DOOR".I feel sorry for you cause you'll need do to some seriouse work to get the car rite.If you put air shocks in the rear,all its going to do is ride like a truck.You'll need to keep at least a 100psi in the shocks.I will also bet the car steer's funny on the road too.With the back jacked up like it is,the caster angle is way negative.I wish you luck with this car.
stefanP
yes i do agree with you that this car was painted to sell because these suspensions are not the only problems im dealing with right now... both set of tires front and back are 15'' just that the back sets are wider... and the car does steer funny, a little turn on the steering wheel and feel like the car is about to loose balance or control when i first drove it, but i got used to it even though its not good... so to make this clear you're suggesting to get

front: suspension springs and control arm bushings
back: suspension springs and shackel bushing?

if you dont mind you can show me picture of exactly each products because if i was to research or look for it i wouldnt know what the heck im looking at or will be buying...
Old 05-08-2011, 10:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
If you have a Galaxy axle it is too wide. If your tires hit the body you need a different offset of wheel or narrowed rear end no matter how weak the springs are.

thanks i will look into that ...
Old 05-09-2011, 06:13 PM

Last journal entry: 41 chevy frame on the move.
Last photo:

Start here.This site looks good. http://www.falconclub.com/
Then go over to links page.I'm surprised 15"tires so wide in the back even fit.Also if this car started life as a 6cylinder engine car,then suspension was very lite from the factory.6cylinder cars generally had 13" tires.Again good luck with this project.
stefanP
Old 05-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanP
Start here.This site looks good. http://www.falconclub.com/
Then go over to links page.I'm surprised 15"tires so wide in the back even fit.Also if this car started life as a 6cylinder engine car,then suspension was very lite from the factory.6cylinder cars generally had 13" tires.Again good luck with this project.
stefanP
thanks for the info and tips i will need that luck

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.