Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   i need suggestion for suspension (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/i-need-suggestion-suspension-198023.html)

meng 05-06-2011 11:30 PM

i need suggestion for suspension
 
i have a little problem with my car suspension... i just recently bought a 68 falcon and ever since i bought it, its been only me that is in the car while the car is moving so i didnt notice anything wrong with my suspension. but the other day two of my friends got in the car with me decide to go for a cruise, unfortunately we didnt get very far. as soon as the car move my tires were scratching against body frame... i got out and look and the car just sank all the way to my tires... and not only that, while im driving by myself and if i go over bumps my tire hits against the body frame also

therefore, do you guys have any recommendation on what i need as far as brand or size or suspension kit? i am totally clueless about suspensions and i want me a nice smooth ride with no tire scratching the frame when i run over bumps and of course to be able to have other people in the car with me...

p.s. does it matter what axles i have when it comes to getting suspension? because the guy i bought it from said the front and back axles come from two different type of car

Gringo 05-07-2011 12:39 AM

get rid of your heavy buddies and ask some hot slim chick to go crusing and your problem will be taken care of. And if it still bottoms out, you can find a nice spot to park. I'm sure you will be happy with the results

1ownerT 05-07-2011 05:13 AM

It sounds like the rear springs could be worn out, possibly shocks also or it could have oversize tires on it causing the rubbing when loaded.
Do you have a spring/chassis shop who could look at it, diagnose the problem(s)? Get an estimate then decide if you want to handle it yourself or have them do the work.
The car is basically a Cougar/Mustang underneath, many replacement suspension parts are available.

stefanP 05-07-2011 05:48 AM

meng,You say you have just purcahsed the car.How is the overall condition of the car? Has it been restored? Or just a daily driving car? Performance up grades? .Please give a little more info.Any pictures? It sounds like the springs are worn out.I had a 1965 Dodge dart.Even after swapping the 6cylinder engine to a 8cylinder and I also replace the rear springs.I could have three people in the car without a problem.Please more information.
stefanP

matts37chev 05-07-2011 07:49 AM

the tires are too big or the wheels have the wrong offset.

you say the tires are rubbing on the body/frame---which is it body or frame?
inside or outside of the tire is rubbing?

meng 05-07-2011 10:32 AM

i will post some pictures up... and will answer questions soon im at work haha

meng 05-08-2011 12:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
here are the pictures , the body is rubbing against the outside of my tires, as you can see how high the back wheels are, it comes all the way down to the tires when a 100lb person sits at the back with a 10 lb baby and this is with me on the driver side of the car too, and i weigh almost 300 lbs :pimp: also ...

meng 05-08-2011 12:09 PM

its a daily driven car , with a 289 engine.

matts37chev 05-08-2011 01:55 PM

i cant read what size the rear tires are, however i see the sidewalls have cracks and are no good :nono:

i would go get new ones, and get them a size narrower
it just looks like they are to wide :thumbup:

meng 05-08-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matts37chev
i cant read what size the rear tires are, however i see the sidewalls have cracks and are no good :nono:

i would go get new ones, and get them a size narrower
it just looks like they are to wide :thumbup:

the rear tire size are 225/60/15 a bit wider than the front... yes the tires sidewall are crack, but i dont want to change new tires yet until i find a solution on fixing this spring...

if someone sits on the passenger side with me the front tires are rubbing against the body as well, so i dont think tire size is the issue? but i could be wrong like i said im a newbie and have no clue about suspensions :( ...

meng 05-08-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matts37chev
the tires are too big or the wheels have the wrong offset.

you say the tires are rubbing on the body/frame---which is it body or frame?
inside or outside of the tire is rubbing?

its rubbing off the body and outside of the tire

meng 05-08-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanP
meng,You say you have just purcahsed the car.How is the overall condition of the car? Has it been restored? Or just a daily driving car? Performance up grades? .Please give a little more info.Any pictures? It sounds like the springs are worn out.I had a 1965 Dodge dart.Even after swapping the 6cylinder engine to a 8cylinder and I also replace the rear springs.I could have three people in the car without a problem.Please more information.
stefanP

according to the guy i bought it from this is the info.

1965 galaxie trany 289 cu 4.7L v8 with edelbrock 4barrel carb
front axle has 1965 granada axle and back axle has 1965 galaxie axle ...
(im curious, does each type of axle requires specific supsension kit? or can you put on suspension kit on any axles )

speedydeedy 05-08-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matts37chev
i cant read what size the rear tires are, however i see the sidewalls have cracks and are no good :nono:

i would go get new ones, and get them a size narrower
it just looks like they are to wide :thumbup:

I agree. Also instead of changing the suspension,just replace the shocks with air shocks like almost everybody did back in the early 1970's.Or if your budget allows go with airbags.

meng 05-08-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringo
get rid of your heavy buddies and ask some hot slim chick to go crusing and your problem will be taken care of. And if it still bottoms out, you can find a nice spot to park. I'm sure you will be happy with the results

so what happens next if something happens inside the park car? suspension might become worse lol

meng 05-08-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedydeedy
I agree. Also instead of changing the suspension,just replace the shocks with air shocks like almost everybody did back in the early 1970's.Or if your budget allows go with airbags.

shocks? see this is exactly what i dont know what to replace since there are so many parts such as suspension shocks struts etc... sorry my car parts terminology are just real plain... but this is what im asking from you guys as far as what to get to correct this problem of mine ... so you recommend just the shocks?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.