I need your opinion on a new sideline! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2003, 09:31 AM
HEAD GREASEWHORE

Last journal entry: More
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I need your opinion on a new sideline!

Ok here it is guys .... A friend of mine is a tattoo artist in which is coming to live with me and hubby for a while till he gets back on his feet.! He has great artistic ability... but has not had his head on straight about life and how it works!! This is where I come in ... I am no saint by anymeans.. but If I can help someone, anyone I will or at least try! It seems that when a guy walks in for a job interview with tatts all over him .. no one wants to give him a job ..so why not let him do what he does best! ART!
I was thinking about purchasing a Airbrushing system for him... putting him through some classes and opening up a shop for him doing custom work .... Somewhat like a partner ship .. he has no clue about business, I do .. and I know nothing about art.. he does...
Do you think something like this would fly ? and if so .. How would I go about marketing it! And what clientele base should I be focusing on ?

Inputs please!

pup

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Cool

I just had a vision, hope I don't turn out to be a prophet or sumfin' ... I envision a jobless divorced Greasewhore with tatts over 90 percent of her body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2003, 09:55 AM
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor

Last photo:

If you think you can trust that the guy will be there to do the work then I say ya go for it. Best place to start is the swap meets. I'm sure you've seen people doing it at the meets. Start with custom license plates an t shirts. Hand out cards and such. All in all should cost under $1000 to get up and running + cost of schooling.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:03 AM
HEAD GREASEWHORE

Last photo:

Sweet Idea Custom .. Actually I Havent seen any airbrushing at swap meets.. hence the reason I thought about it.. No competition in my area! Sweet deal !

pup!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:14 AM
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor

Last photo:

Around me all the swap meets have someone doing it. Ya ever seen them license plates that have a nice romantic background that have jack loves dianne airbrushed on it? they sell like wild and always have. Then grab an old hood and have him Paint a wild scene on it and clear it so it will stay pretty longer and use it as a bill board. Then people will stop just to see his work. Make the hood very impressive and people will want their cars done to. Then do tee shirts, they only cost $1.15 each if you buy them in bulk. Easy money.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:01 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

around here, tattoo artists make a pretty good living........
go for it, just remember what usually happens when friends/family get involved with money.......
Old 07-21-2003, 11:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Word to the wise: He is in his condition by CHOICE. Your maternal instincts have kicked in BIG TIME but you CAN'T save him if he isn't intersted in saving himself. You are already going above and beyond by putting the bum up for free. My recomendation (based on 3 decades of experience of dealing with such salvation projects) is to suggest your ides, but in no case grub-stake it. You will be burned, almost guaranteed.

Sounds like a heartless approach but it is tough love. No one is helped when they are given things for free that they don't earn or even really want.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

In my neck of the woods, we have a shop "Airbrushed Stuff" that does pretty good biz. If paint will stick to it, they'll paint it!!
I'd do stuff like a helmet, mailbox, t-shirts, fake nails (the stick on ones) even a small round trash can (like the office sized ones) Do up one of each to take to a swap meet as examples of what he can do. I have an airbrush i use to spray model cars but i have no artistic ability to get fancy with it.

C
Old 07-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The lone dissenter

I'm afraid I don't agree with everyone elses rosy eyed view, one thing I have learned over the years is you can't make them drink even if the head is in the trough. Your aims may be admirable and even possible but don't you think that if he had the least amount of gumption he could be doing this himself?

I have been through this scenario before and trying to go into business with someone who is...

A) Not qualified.

B) Not invested.

C) Not experienced.

D) Not motivated.

...is a recipe for disaster. I'm sure you can find a partner with those above traits, just make sure you sign a contract and everyone agrees with the terms. Handshake deals are not satisfactory. The best way to make enemies of your friends is to go into business with them.

Sorry Pup, just my opinion.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:46 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

What he said, only I have had experience with one of these type people/out of work artists. He could however find a party any day of the week or smoke or bike parts to trade his art work for but forget the 9 to 5 or any deadlines. Good luck on your endeavor but one of these slugs will never be anything but a slug. The guy I'm talking about finally made it to The iron bar hotel, couldn't tell his stuff from other peoples/friends stuff and is doing time for thefts.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:20 PM
HEAD GREASEWHORE

Last photo:

To be honest guys .. everything you are saying has gone thru my head! But .. he came to me for help ... I didnt go to him and paint a pretty picture!
He has been living in the "big city" picture of drugs.. rippers... and alcoholics... he has "been there.. done that and yes.. even been to the iron bar hotel! He came to stay with me and hubby a few times.. and has even said to me .. how do i get this ? I have never experienced a "happy marriage" I am from a broken home.. I hung out with the wrong crowd.. and I dont want to do this anymore!
I got him a job as a carpenters helper .. which he has stuck too and is being promoted! This is coming into layoff season and he is one of them that they are keeping! My applaud! I just wanted to let him do something for extra cash ..
He and I are going to get him some counselling on drinking.. (his idea) and all he wants is a friend to who cares not a friend he can drink with!

I personally think he has shown that he does want to change....
All I can do is lead him in the right direction.. no one can make him take the path ... thats his choice...

thanks for caring guys .. and I will do this totally with my eyes wide open!

pup
Old 07-22-2003, 01:15 AM
Be American, Buy American!

Question Forest ??? Trees

pup, I am concerned about your decision to go ahead with person with whom you have said has a history of dependency upon others for all his needs. You said he has came to stay with you and your husband several times in the past, does this not seem like a pattern to you. Even if you go into this venture with your eyes wide open, be careful, friendship sometimes tend to become blinders. Don't go too deep into the freest that you cant see the Forest for the trees. Amen and God bless you.

Al
Old 07-22-2003, 01:38 AM

Last photo:

hey pup go in with your eyes open hand have a shot at it
a chap i know down under has 12 people working for him doing tats he has put down the pen and just does the piercing you know all that stainless stuff i can just see you doing prince Albert's for money but seriously if this guy don't work out sack him and look around for another artist . They say the girls have steadier hands and a better use of color there arnt many color blind women. and an open book policy with your partners /workers will help stop the grumbling. its cash and carry so as long as you supply youll get the bucks.
(build it and they will come . slow at first)
Old 07-22-2003, 01:41 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

If things go well enough and you need to buy equipment. Look for a badger or Pasche air brush system. They are pretty much the best bang for the buck! You want dual action too. That means you can control the air and paint flow!
I have a Pasche D/A airbrush with a little cute compressor!
The whole system should cost you around $400!
Old 07-22-2003, 03:55 AM

Kim;

My past experience has proved that there R two things guaranteed to end a friendship.

1. Having your friends move in to stay.

2. Partnerships.

Good luck.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.