I need your Opinion please! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I need your Opinion please!

What do you guys think I should do?
I have waaaay to many projects right now.
I do not want to sell my truck because I know that I can get it finished within the next year or so. So that is out of the question. The wifey absolutely loves the Jag and she said that it HAS to stay and get finished...I am with her on that.
BUT....here's the but....I have a 71 Chevelle convertible that is completely torn apart, it is in decent shape.
It need both rear quarters and top replaced,interior redone,both front fenders,hood and a motor/tranny. I have had the car for about 4 years now and haven't started redoing it yet. It is sitting beside my garage under a tarp. The body is off of the frame and the frame is stripped down. I have everything that I took off of it except for fenders and hood. The floor pans and trunk pan is in great shape. There is 1 popcan-sized hole in the rear floor under the seat that needs patched. And I have 1 new quarter for it.
To finish this car I would need both front fenders,hood,rear quarter,motor,tranny, redo the interior,paint and top.
The plus side is, most all of the sheetmetal is rust free, and the frame is solid and rust free.
I have no clue as to when I would be able to get to this car to start on it. I hate to see it sit outside and take a chance of rust taking over and letting it set and rot away.
I know when I drive by an old rod that has been sitting outside for years, I feel heartbroken...like its an dog tied to a tree in the winter I have this strange obsession to 'rescue' these cars, but now I am running out of room and would like to finish what I have going on currently.
So here is what I would like your opinion on... do I :
A) Sell the car and take the money to finish the truck or Jag?
B) Keep the car and wait until I have time to get to it?
C)Finish the S10 and Jag, buy a Chevelle that is done later on.
D)Sit here confused....
A few of my close friends/family say sell it and finish the S10/Jag and after I get those done, buy a Chevelle that is done.
Here is my current list of cars:
2000 VW Jetta(turn in to lease co. this spring)
1990 Honda Civic Hatchback(daily driver/work car)
1996 Chevy Monte Carlo(replacing the VW)
1989 S10(project of the week truck)
1975 Jaguar XJ6(newest family member)

Whew!
Later,
WEIMER

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2003, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

BIG dillema dude! I sold my 71 El Camino when I fully realized I could not restore it, nor would I be able to for quite some time. I feel like you do - I hate seeing a car sit and rust year after year and as much as I loved that mino I sold it to someone who wanted a project to work on NOW.
Now I'm eyeballing this 67 Nova that has sat in a guys yard for about 3 or 4 years now... soon I will be in the position to pick up a project what with my new job and better pay and suchlike. This seems to be how the world goes 'round. Meybe he's ready to sell it since it's sat so long.
It sounds like the S-10 is high on your list. It's YOUR list. My vote (pertaining to YOUR priorities) is to sell the 'vert 'velle so someone can get a project launched with a good foundation and bring the car to it's potential. That will give you some cash to finish some other projects.
My sweetheart would be all about getting that chevelle up and in show or track shape. There would also be a Nova on deck for next project!! The Honda, S-10, Jag, and VW would be history. There would be a dragster frame sitting where the Monte Carlo is, and he'd be perusing the "wheel deals" magazines just because a good deal can't be passed up.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

I have week spot for converts. (But no room either) They are hard to come by and not cheap. If it can set in the corner out of the weather, I'd keep her.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Psychotic

Last photo:

Woah thats a tough one, seeing as I am not the one involved with the cars I would say 3, but on the other hand, seeing as we have about 11 restorations going on at the moment and I can't bear to part with any of them, then I say keep the lot. Maybe build a carport/shed for the car and keep her nice and safe in there till you can get round to it.
I feel for you, this is a tough decision.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:57 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I would hang on to the rag top if I could, When you get ready to do it you might not be able to find another one. I have several projects setting that I'll probably never get to, but maybe some one in the family will when I can't do them anymore.

I predict that in a few years you will not be able to find project cars any more. Sad , but that time is coming.

Troy
Old 10-26-2003, 09:12 AM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

I like Moby's idea of building some sort of shelter for the Chevelle. The cost of building a shelter/carport would be pennies compared to finding another convertible Chevelle in the future, they're only going up in value. Not just that, but you would have a more desirable storage/parking space for one of your other cars while doing the Chevelle.

I would say to just keep on getting your bodywork practice in on the S-10 first to get comfortable with attacking those quarters/etc on the Chevelle. That Jag looked pretty damned straight from the pics, I would practice my paint on it by giving it a really slick paint job. The Chevelle will be a really super nice car when done and I'd hate to see you kicking yourself in the butt later for selling it.

I have a Vega wagon that I won't have time or money to finish for a while. I know I'll take $500 bucks for it and the V8 mount kit, but I know I'm not going to find another rust free Arizona body here in Tennessee. But then again, I hate to see it sitting there when I know there's someone that's in a position to make this little car into something really cool.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:43 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Weimer, you are on the right track of setting your priorities. Those that do not never finish anything, usually. I have bought some great deals over the years with the investment potential in mind. They have all been reluctently sold with lots of regrets, but so much not when the profit helped finish a higher priority!!! I vote for selling the car that will realize you the biggest profit to plow back into your highest priority and focus on finishing it!! Good deals come along all the time so strike when the time is right for you!! As the song goes "Gotta know when to fold them and when to hold them" or something to that effect.

Trees
Old 10-26-2003, 10:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

About 10 years ago I was in a similar position.......too many projects and NOT enough time and money to finish them properly.

I had a all steel Deuce Roadster, a black LS6 70 Chevelle..454 - 450 HP with a 4 speed, a 56 F100 big window pickup, a 49 Mercury coupe and 8 - 10 big block engines from the muscle car era. All 4 bolt main, square port and aluminum intake type motors.

This older gentleman came over 1 night with a friend (he was his Dad) and he looked at all the projects and pieces and he asked me ........which ONE of these do you want the most to be finished?

I looked around and said ...the Deuce Roadster

He said "sell the rest and concentrate on it then"

I was pushing the mid century mark and had used a lot more time than I figured I had left so..........

It took about a month for his advice to sink in but it did. I sold the Chevelle (big bucks), the 56 F100 and 6 of the engines. I also sold 50 -60 factory aluminum Chevrolet high performance intake manifolds. I did kept the 49 Mercury for another 2 years but swapped it for some 32 Ford stuff.

BEST ADVICE I have even gotten. I had a pocket full of money. I had the time to work on it and when I came to something I did not have...........I just bought in. Put the 32 back on the road and have not regretted it 1 bit. I have since bought and sold a few 40 Ford coupes but the 32 is my main focus.

I have read Wiemers.....OTHER... post about certain folks "posts and fabrications" so here's my photos. I DID buy a digital camera with some of the proceeds.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-26-2003, 12:57 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Deuce, well put!! "Advice is free: Good advice is hard to come by ;and Good advice is hard to recognize at times" ie "...it took about a month for his advice to sink in but it did".

Trees
Old 10-26-2003, 01:43 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

BIG $ rides.

I think keeping it to just ONE ride is how these guys get tat one really sweet ride that looks like a show car. I want to get down to one car, maybe two but which car would I sell and which one would I keep???? I suggest a heavy tarp and tie it up so nothing much gets in then work on it when you are will to spend the time on it. Once its done do you have a place to park it out of the weather???

Todd

Rat Rodds Rule!
Old 10-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I sold my '62 Impala SS a couple months ago when I finally owned up to the fact I would never force myself to tear it apart to restore it and IF I did I would probably never put it back together. It ran and drove great and still looked decent from across the street ( a solid 50 footer anyway ) but was in serious need of a frame off. I had owned it 10 years and it was a hard decision to make, I literally cried when it drove off but I'm glad now I did it. The guy that bought it is a semi-retired realtor and has the time and money to fix it right. I moved on to something newer, cheaper and that didn't need nearly as much. Not as cool as my '62 by any means but I'll still have fun driving it when it's finished and I'll be able to finish it before I retire.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Well...I did it. I decided to sell it. I listed it on ebay. I am also going to list it locally also. I think that I would rather see someone actually DO somethng with it rather than me just sitting on it and letting rot away.
I do have a reserve on my auction though, so If I don't get what I would like out of it then at least I could see what the 'going' price would be...
Later,
WEIMER

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.