I picked up a 400 SBC and a M21 4 speed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 01:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I picked up a 400 SBC and a M21 4 speed

what do you think of my 400 SBC 7 M21 4 Speed Buy ? (1st my life story)

my son and I are building a 74 Camaro project together, he bought a running 74 Camaro. 350 4 speed & a 10 bolt posi. (we looked for a Nova, but no nice builders to be found close. we had a 63 Nova 2Dr. HT, but the 63 would of no way been done in 4 or 5yrs as a father son project, plus we need a bigger shop for the rotorice & build) he bought the Camaro with the money he earns from his job at a local john deer implement dealer. it will be his weekend cruiser, as he has a 4x4 Suburban for his DD, me and him put the new GM crate engine in the Suburban. he will be able to race the Camaro at the local 1/4mi drag strip this summer.

the 74 Camaro plan was, a roller 4 bolt 1PRM 350 with a forged crank & 062 Vortec heads. I bought a 98 vortec builder roller block, and have a new set of GM rollers lifters, haven't ordered the roller cam yet. I bought a set of drop in comp beehive 26918-16 valve springs, and I sent my 062 vortec heads to the machine shop last week. (not knowing I was gona get the 400) I bought my fresh set of GM 5.7 reconditioned rods a month a go. I have a GM 1PRM forged crank (GM # 14088532). still need a few things to finish my 350 build. I have most all the parts for this build.

but saturday nite a buddy sold me his Complete 400 SBC, he built it 3 yrs a go. but his 73 Camaro never seen any winter. and sat it through 6 months of body & paint work on car in the last 3yrs. so not a lot of miles on it. but I got the 400cid SBC and the M21 4 speed, the near new clutch & scatter shield, headers exhaust & radiator & drive shaft all for $1400 and he gets my T10 4 speed.

the T10 is jumping out of 2nd 3rd & 4th gear. the 400 has fresh worked over 187 double hump heads. alum intake, hyper 9.5:1 CR pistons.

yeah I like his car too, but he has deeper pockets than me.

heres pics of the 74 we are doing & pics of his 73 Z/28 split bumper that the 400 M21 4 speed came out of.

this is our 74 Camaro

this is my buddies 73 Split bumper Z/28 Camaro with a 502 BBC, Temec 5 speed, moser ford 9" with 35 spline axles, 433 gears & detroit locker.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

Congrats on the pickup of new powerplant and tranny. Both cars are nice, you're son should enjoy it. Tell you're buddy if he's expecting the Indy SS's to hook up, he's in for a rude awakening...
Old 01-23-2008, 01:30 PM

Good luck with the car! I like the blue one better. have you thought about putting the vortec heads on the 400?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Stroked Z28

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1980
I like the blue one better.
+1 (no offense to our split bumper friends out there). The cragar s/s's on the 2nd gen Camaros is a classic look.

You should be happy with that deal - you did well. I loved having the 400 / 4 speed in my '80 Z28. What cam is in the 400 & what gears are you running in that 10-bolt?

Time for some sub-frame connectors
Old 01-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Very Nice Sal. The M/T SS tires will hook, if you burn them HARD, longer than the typical burn out. But with a 502, I doubt it.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

thanks guys, we are planning the same wheels and tires. since we run and hang together, we might go with the shinny kinda chrome looking Cragger centerline look. buy they may end up same as his if I find a ebay set.

if he gets them tires hot like DV said, they get super sticky, them Mickey Thompson tires are made with a different compound than they were yrs ago. if he gets them hot and with the line lock on, the front brakes/tires can't hold the car. it just pushes the car. it has slide a links on the rear with the temec 5 speed & 433 gears and 4 wheel disc brakes with a line lock.

he couldn't remember the cam specs, he said he might have the cam card. he is a mechanic for a living. he has his own shop and irrigation engines, diesel & gas engines is his bread & butter. plus he does cars & P/Us, farm trucks and tractor work, even lawn mowers if they have time. hes the only shop in a small community he sell gas & diesel and tires ect. he has prob 5 guys working for him. during the growing season he runs 3 fulltime service trucks that can hall, pick up and set an engine.

maybe next winter we will pull the #187 double humps & stick the vortec heads on the 400.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

nice looking camaro's, what are you doing with the 63 nova? i am looking for earlly nova for my son.
sam-missle
Old 01-23-2008, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

Ooh the 74 has 373 Gears.

I sold my 63 Nova 2DR. HT. it wasn't bad, but it had the 4 bolt front end on it. but I had a 65 4DR I was going to swap the complete front end and inter fenders and 5 lug front end. the body wasn't bad, but it needed a trunk floor and to me I wanted to media blast the body & frame and replace trunk floor ect. but my 24x30 garage with a 8" celling isn't big enough.

the blue 74 Camaro is a project we can have close to done by june. around here (Kearney Ne.) they have a Big car show and Drags and cruise that nite. cruse night in july. and he wants to be running for that. prob can do a search to see cruise night. heres the local drag strip. http://www.krpi.com/
Old 01-23-2008, 10:11 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Yeah Ilkie those old camaros, I still havent forgiven myself for not buying that 80 z28 a couple yeaars ago for around $350....insert crying smilie here.......

Shane
Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

Who is the guy in the wheelchair?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_v23
Who is the guy in the wheelchair?

I'm in the wheelchair, 12yrs now.

Mustangsaly
Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last photo:

Me too, 1.5 years post. Para though, looks like you've got it a little worse...AFLAC paid for the 496 in my Buick
Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

yup I'm a C5/6 Quad. you a SCI ( sci = spinal cord injury) what level para are you ? you ever go to newmobility.com ?

whats your Buick ? your Buick have a BBC ? or a BBB 496 ?

Mustangsaly
Old 01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last photo:

Yeah T12 incomplete, from a motocross wreck, No I have never been to that web site, what is it about? ( I suppose I could just check it out)

It is a 65 Skylark and has A big block Chevy it was a 427T originally, I built it with some of the money I got from AFLAC. You really can use it for whatever you need!!

Anyways, cars and motors are things that I can do from the chair and then I throw some hand controls in them and go. I have a 57 chev that I am working on and have built 3 motors since I got out of the hospital (355, 383, and the 496), A friend and I are just starting an engine shop specializing in High Performance especially dirt track racing. But I like the overall aspects of building cars as well.

Have you figured out how to drive stick? That is one of the downfalls isnt it

Anyways, nice to find a fellow crip out here,

I really like your camaro though, there is just something about them, I am big fan of the 70-81 firebird with a few of the right pieces of plastic on it.

Anyways PM me sometime and we can go over the finer points of how to do a floor transfer to a creeper.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

New Mobility is a Crip site. some from up in your neck of the woods. I've met some neat people/crips there. some I met in person.

my cousin / basically my brother. his 1st car was a 66 Buick Skylark GS 2DR HT with a 401 4 speed 411s & a 12 bolt posi. it had factory buckets and a console. the 401 was a screamer !

yeah No Legs = No Stick / Manual tranny, near as I can tell. the 74 Camaro is my sons 1st car. I bought centerline wheels today. I think I still need a 750 Holley DP Carb. (the one on the 400 was kinda promised to someone else B4 I bought the 400SBC even if they never paid. its simpler that way.)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.