I posted the photos of my 32 Hiboy here: - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Hey guys....I think she said it had a Downs reproduction body on it. You can tell by the pics that its on 32 rails....they may be reproduction....probably are. But its a great car. I was wrong about the body....Frisco got me straightened out...I should have went back and re-read the posts...sorry about that...senior moment.

Advertisement

Last edited by Henry Highrise; 08-18-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

She actually said it was an early Westcott body steel reinforced.

Doesn't matter to me. Car looks great as is! Wish her many happy miles in it.

I am taking the plunge
Old 08-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Thanks Frisco.....I stand corrected. I just know the car looks great and if I owned it I would not care what body it had on it.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Deuce 4 Me
What would you have me call it if its not steel? I know glass but they do come in kind of a kit. Did'nt have to get all mad about it!..........
Not mad, sorry you took it that way . The term kit car started with the Volkswagen dune buggy bodies. It is in no way representative of a glass reproduction car. To call it a kit is a vast over simplification, there is absolutely nothing that is kit about it. In fact some can be more of a challenge than a steel car. In conversation substitute glass car for kit car. The owners will think more of you for it .

Vince
Old 08-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Vince

Glad you cleared that up
I kinda got the impression that you were trying to rain on her parade.
I know better now, Let's all parade with her

Bryan
Old 08-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Not mad, sorry you took it that way . The term kit car started with the Volkswagen dune buggy bodies. It is in no way representative of a glass reproduction car. To call it a kit is a vast over simplification, there is absolutely nothing that is kit about it. In fact some can be more of a challenge than a steel car. In conversation substitute glass car for kit car. The owners will think more of you for it .

Vince
Oh its cool I didn't think anything of it. I had a 23 t bucket and it was made my Total Performance and I unknowingly refereed to it as a kit sometimes. I didn't built it however. Its in my photos if interested.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Urgh, kit car
Some folks will get their panties in a wad ... over this post ... BUT ...

Folks get upset over the words KIT CAR ...
It is sort of like RAT ROD ...

Both are misused and misunderstood.
Use of the word ...Kit Car ... is a natural progression ...
Years ago, Kit Car companies offered bodies to go on a VW chassis ... that ranged from Dune Buggy to GT40 look alike ... Then some fiberglass folks offered fiberglass bodies to fit other chassis. Some companies offered both ... the VW kit car and the old Ford bodies ... in the same catalog. Then ... some of the fiberglass folks offered their bodies on a chassis of their own manufacture ... bridging the supply gap of chassis and making them a Kit Car ... like it or not.

Some folks really have a problem with the term KIT CAR ... usually owners ...
To be truthful ... I don't ... ... but then ... I do not own one ...
If you buy a chassis and a body that are not from the that time era ( pre WW II ) what else is it ... ??

They ( Kit Cars ) are more difficult to built than a MOST of the original cars IMHO ...
They fit poorly, as a general rule.
Most original FOMOCO parts will NOT fit ... so you are kind of on your own ...
They can cost as much or more to build yet at sale time ... the value is considered by most to be less or diminished ...

I respect the FACT that some folks will not like this post ...
But that said ... I also respect the folks who has the talent to build one into a nice car. It takes a dedicated and talented builder to build one NICE ... they have to be creative, a scounger and patient ...

This 32 3W ... Gibbons body belongs to a friend of mine ... and it is a super car IMHO ...
and I hope my original 3W turns out as nice ...

It just will be a old original 3W ...
Old 08-19-2006, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

I am back - Went to my FIRST CAR EVENT last night (more on this in a seperate post).

but for now: first off, thanks to all of you for your warm enthousiastic support. It means a lot to me.

Whether, glass, steel or original HF body, a car is a car and driving and having fun in it remains the most important aspect of it. So, am I having a BLAST in my car???

OH MY GOD YES.

Rather than focussing on the fact that my rails are not circa 32 and my body is not circa 32, I try to focuss on the fact that my headlights are from the thirties and my steering wheel is from 1942, and enjoy that vintage aspect of my ride. As I said earlier in many post, a real original body was high on my wish list, but the wallet could not stretch that far so I must accept the fact I am not a rich's man daughter and be grateful to God for what I do have: A good home business that provides enough for me to be able to afford to buy such a "toy" hehe. the rest is academic at this point.

Personally, the way I understand the term kit car would be a car that you buy from a company, complete, and you put together yourself. As an exemple, shelby cobras that you buy (replicas), come complete in pieces in a few boxes, you just put the pieces together (like a big puzzle hehe) and you end up with a car. All the needed pieces are provided to you by the one company who makes the kit car.

In the case of a glass body car, I don't feel "kit" really fits the situation, because the car I am driving for exemple was made from a bunch of misc parts, some new, some vintage and some from junk yards probably. This implies that whomever built it, built it from scratch and had to figure out on their own what components to put in it . Juts because the body and rails came from one manufacturer doesn't mean the whole care was a "kit".

I would more define it as a home built hot rod built to look as a 1932 car.

Eventually, If I located a henry ford body and bought it and then turned around and took my glass body off my car and replaced with the real HF body, would I then end up with a "real car?"... I can locate a 1931 model A body for around 8K, clean it up and put it on my 32 rails with the rest of my current compnents and end up with a 55K rod. Go figure . Might be something fun to do down the road, that or simply buy the more expensive rod then and sell my rod. Someone offered to buy it last night LOL.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

PS: talked in length with a very nice man at Wescott. He was very helpful. They started building their 32 bodies in the early 70's. I suspect my car was built around that time. Although it has its share of nicks, I have not been able to detect any cracks in the fiberglass, It feels really solid. Hopefully it will get me by for a while longer ).
Old 08-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higirl
PS: talked in length with a very nice man at Wescott. He was very helpful. They started building their 32 bodies in the early 70's. I suspect my car was built around that time. Although it has its share of nicks, I have not been able to detect any cracks in the fiberglass, It feels really solid.
I have said here many times ... that Wescott is the best fiberglass reproduction 32 Roadster going . IMHO ... I have to look real, real close to detect one from a original steel car. I have no problem with a fiberglass car ... They help get folks into the sport and riding. PLUS ... If there were no fiberglass cars I could not afford my steel car ...
Old 12-09-2006, 03:46 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Sweet '32!

You have a very nice deuce there. I loved your website and added it to my favorites, so I can keep up with your adventures. It looks to be good reading. My girlfriend thought it was cool to see a woman into this hobby. She knew they were out there, but this was the first time she had read first hand experiences. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:44 AM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What size tires?

Higirl, what size tires are you running front and rear? I like the look your '32 has and think that size might work for the look I want on my T. When I get to that point. Geees, I'm doing a lot of note taking and research, this being my first project. Fun, fun, fun!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Definately a car to covet there higirl. I started to read the script but kind of had to get out. Who built your car?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.