Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - i quit being a mechanic
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I got my first technician job at the ripe age of 16. It was for a local Co-op working as Night Mechanic and maintenance. That's lasted for a year than I went to work as a Machine Operator Technician at a local print company. Harris and and Dolphin four color, ten unit for those who know and care. I quit doing that when I thought I was better at working on cars and went to work for a Ford Dealer. What I didn't know was they hired me not because of my ability but because the dealership had a high turn around and they hired anyone willing to stay there for a week or so. There was five bays and five mechanics but only enough work to keep 3 of those busy. The rest took up slack when the head mechanic fell behind the work load. I went from making 1800 a month to flat rate at 800 a month. I don't buy Snap-On tools either because they are three times the cost of Craftsman but only a little better tool. They hated that and refused to let me work until I bought a complete set of Snap-On tools in the neighborhood 15,000.

I realized why I quit working on cars and I went back to where the money is. I get tired of it too, but it's not really hard work and it gives me enough slack to get my racing career and business off the ground.

Whatever you do now. Make it what you want and ensure you get compensated fairly. Although pessimistic, I don't think any job "working for the man" doesn't come with problems. Good luck in where ever you go.