I really blew it - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Beyond the Sea

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I really blew it

Just put a brand new MSD ignition system in, 6A. Put the box under dash by the steering wheel because I don't like the look of those big red boxes under the hood. Well it was running for about five minutes when for some reason I reached under the dash and fooled around with it. Then it slips over towards the fuse box (wasn't firmly attached to anything yet) and shorted out to the fuse box. Big spark, motor stops. That's it. No go. Are these boxes like that, it seems awfully sensitive not to be able to take an accidental spark to the casing! When I'm working on the car I often get fireworks, like wrenches welding between the battery and engine, or elsewhere. But nothing ever broke before
Was I just unlucky or stupid, as in 'it's obviously going to blow if you spark to it...'

Didn't like it under dash anyway, its too buzzy. Do you think I can send it back to Summit under warranty to get a new one? What a pain, I just sold my good old GM HEI, I regret switching over already.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 01:50 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

youd have to see if they can replace it, but if you dont want it under under dash id put it under seat maybe
Old 11-16-2004, 01:59 PM

Ya, Those are fragil when it comes to 12v charges striking the case. If you dont get to far w/ Summit , call MSD direct and try to get a 'RA' or 'RMA'.

Good Luck,
Stroke
Old 11-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

Re: I really blew it

Quote:
Originally posted by Berliner Bel Air
Just put a brand new MSD ignition system in, 6A. Put the box What a pain, I just sold my good old GM HEI, I regret switching over already.
Why did you not just remove your HEI module and keep your distributor? That way, in the event of the MSD box failing, all you had to do is add your module back, and you are good to go.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:59 AM
Beyond the Sea

Last photo:

My old HEI had problems, plus I wanted a fully adjustable unit, so I replaced it with a new MSD 8361. That one, however, is not a 'ready-to-run' unit, it needs the box to work. It was cheaper than the ready-to-run, I thought I'd save some money, now I regret that too. What is a RMA or RA at MSD anyway? Some kind of return number?

My old HEI had problems, plus I wanted a fully adjustable unit, so I replaced it with a new MSD 8361. That one, however, is not a 'ready-to-run' unit, it needs the box to work. It was cheaper than the ready-to-run, I thought I'd save some money, now I regret that too. What is a RMA or RA at MSD anyway? Some kind of return number?

Last edited by Berliner Bel Air; 11-17-2004 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

Personnally, I would have gone back to the HEI, or just purchased a Mallory unit HERE at an awesome price, new unit, with high performace coil, just plug and play. If you didn't like a red cap, just put your original one on.

Then if you needed or had to have a digital box, then HERE is one from the same vendor very cheap. Multiple sparks till 3000 rpm, etc.

I think since Mallory has been around so long, and that they have a good reputation of their products, it would be a wise choice. Also, if the digital box is out of warranty, they will repair it, regardless of what is wrong, for only $25. Can't beat that deal.

RMA usually mean "Return Material Authorization".

Hope this helps.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.