I removed the altinator... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Tazz

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I removed the altinator...

it wasn't charging the battery so I replaced it and it still dosn't charge the battery...don't know it if ever charged the battery!!! I'm about to trace out the wires to see one of them goes to the positive side of the battery probably at the starter I think??.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

charge

Doc here,

Need to know the year, Vehicle and type of charge system...to be more accurate.

I would say, If you installed a new alternator, and you For sure don't read 14.4 volts across the battery, when you measure with a Volt Ohm meter, you may have the fusible link from the alternator open.

If you have an External regulator, that may be bad or need adjustment.

Your Alternator mount may have major Electrolysis, you need to clean and run a 10 gauge wire from the Alternator ground lug or mount bolt to your main grounds by your starter.

If the battery is TOTALLY dead, don't expect the alternator to do it any good...you MUST charge the battery for 6 to 8 hours at 10 amps..an alternator is not designed to recharge a dead battery, but only support the system and top off surface charge.

Some charging systems become disabled if the batt light burns out or the fuse pops..do you have a light when you first turn the key?

Doc
Old 06-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

what I'm working on today...

The car is a pro-street 53 chevy...350/350...with the 3 wire altinator two on a plug on the top and one white wire one going to a lug on the back. I don't know the vintage of the engine but is suspect earily 80's 350 and the same with the altinator. Didn't see a fuse anywhere but everything is covered with the plastic shrink tubing to protect the wires.

Tazz

RAt Rods Rule!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Fuse link

Doc here,

Follow the main Alternator power wire back to where it ties into the starter fuse link...at the starter Solenoid..Check to see that it is not open on that wire...

If you don't have a fuse link or hooked up here, you should consider it to prevent a fire! It would be a good time to install one now.

Doc
Old 06-27-2005, 05:25 AM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:

Sorry for jumping onto this thread with my question. It's not my intention to hi-jack the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette

Your Alternator mount may have major Electrolysis, you need to clean and run a 10 gauge wire from the Alternator ground lug or mount bolt to your main grounds by your starter.
Does this also mean that if the alternator, alternator mounting and engine block were all painted seperately that there won't be any ground for the charging system to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette

Some charging systems become disabled if the batt light burns out or the fuse pops..do you have a light when you first turn the key?
The SBC 350 I've got comes from a 1991 Astro Van and has one large terminal going to the battery and a terminal 'block' which I assumes goes to the batt light. The light is not connected yet as the motor is still on a home-made test stand. Could this be another cause for the system not to charge?

Do you suggest I first replace the internal regulator before looking at those two points?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

I found it...

I recently replaced my ignition switch in the dash of the 53 Chevy....didn't notice the gage on the dash not showing a charge when I was finished.....any-how....I left two white wires off the ignition switch that went to the accessories...seems those came from the alternator and I hooked them up and now it is charging.....LOL...never dawned on me that wires going to the ignition switch would have anything to do with the charging system...I was wrong!!! Thanks for your suggestions any way I needed a direction to go in as I was stumped to start off with. I found a wiring diagram from a painless harness I have to install on my 64 Chevelle and found out the white wire and the red wire are jumpered together?? In my harness the red becomes a white and the white/white wires go to the accesories lug on the ignition switch which goes to ther battery + terminal.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 06-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte
Sorry for jumping onto this thread with my question. It's not my intention to hi-jack the thread.

Does this also mean that if the alternator, alternator mounting and engine block were all painted seperately that there won't be any ground for the charging system to work?

Doc here,

Very Likely without good ground bonding, you won't have a ground, or a solid, non intermittent one...

Also if the Mount / Cradle is made from aluminum as well as the alternator, and you have poor bonding, not only will you suffer electro sys here, but Inside the water pump as well..The Vanes will literally melt away in short order..you want to be sure all this is bonded properly AND use Aluminum wire paste on the hardware as you install the mounts...

The SBC 350 I've got comes from a 1991 Astro Van and has one large terminal going to the battery and a terminal 'block' which I assumes goes to the batt light. The light is not connected yet as the motor is still on a home-made test stand. Could this be another cause for the system not to charge?

If you have not connected the light and Field wire from the alternator..It won't charge...If your still on a stand, I should think you have bigger issues to address than an alternator...

The Terminal Block by the battery is SUPPOSED to be for your fuse link to the harness and the Alternator...since it appears to be missing, you need to replace that...and hook it up accordingly..

Doc

Do you suggest I first replace the internal regulator before looking at those two points?
Get it back in the car and wired and running before you replace anything (unless it was defective before you pulled the engine, than take it to the auto parts store and have it tested...)
Old 06-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Fixed! KEWL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm454
I recently replaced my ignition switch in the dash of the 53 Chevy....didn't notice the gage on the dash not showing a charge when I was finished.....any-how....I left two white wires off the ignition switch that went to the accessories...seems those came from the alternator and I hooked them up and now it is charging.....LOL...never dawned on me that wires going to the ignition switch would have anything to do with the charging system...I was wrong!!! Thanks for your suggestions any way I needed a direction to go in as I was stumped to start off with. I found a wiring diagram from a painless harness I have to install on my 64 Chevelle and found out the white wire and the red wire are jumpered together?? In my harness the red becomes a white and the white/white wires go to the accesories lug on the ignition switch which goes to ther battery + terminal.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Doc here,

Kewl glad to hear that you found the problem!

Yeah, one is for the light in ACC and the other provides field...you just gotta have those...Actually you could have jumpered the field over to the Battery Wire for a test and it also would have worked..just no indicator..

Doc
Old 06-28-2005, 05:48 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

what I did was...

I jumpered the two wires together under the dash...then I found the wires needed to go to a + battery sources so I jumpered to the battery from the Alternator and it charged so when I hooked the wires up I found the ACC lug was + battery and put the wires there and now it works fine. It really helped to find the wiring in the Painless harness instruction manual showing the Alternator wiring.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.