I sprayed the clear today, but ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 10:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I sprayed the clear today, but ?

Done spraying 3 coats clear today but one fender did not came out as slick as the rest of the car. I don't know why I might forget spraying the 3. coat wet on that fender. (I'm doing this between 2 jobs so i have to rush )
I like to re clear again that fender.
Should I wait 1 day to sand and what grit?
I was planning to wet sand the whole car and 3 more coat clear but since this is my first paint job I think i will shy away from that because I don't want to mess up than doing good by applying more clear.
Also I have 2 runs and some dirt here and there but should be ok by sanding and buffing right?
Also my beautifully single stage urethane black painted inner wheelwells have messed up from over spray, (again because of rushing I forgot putting the cover back on the engine comp.) is there something for it to clean or they are shot? Sorry too many question in one time.
Thank you guys as always for the help.

Advertisement

Last edited by ptcamaro; 10-05-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 12:31 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

No need to re clear the fender if you are going to sand and buff it all anyways... start with 1000/1200 grit and work up to 2000, then buff... watch sanding your runs so you dont break through to the base... add some 00 car wash from mirror glaze, this helps the paper slide as you sand... listen as you sand,,, if it changes noises and sounds funny, you have something on your paper and need to clean it off or you may end up scratching a large section... Most important enjoy yourself.... Your fender wells.... it would probably be easiest to scuff and throw some clear on them now that you have peppered them with overspray..Is everything out of the engine bay??

Matthew
Old 10-06-2005, 03:45 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

When possible, I like to move the vehicle outside, and use a water hose, with the water just trickling, when wet sanding. Keep the hose end off the ground to keep trash from getting on it. That reduces the chances of getting something on the surface that will scratch it. Many people also use a clean spray bottle, that way you can use some soap with the water, but only a very little bit, as you don't want suds. If the color of the paper turns to the color of the paint, you have gone too far. The residue from the sanding should be white.

Aaron
Old 10-06-2005, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

runs should come out if not too large and there is enough clear on the car. if you have curtains, many small runs close together it may be more difficult. A trick many people including myself use is to take a single edger razor blade, round over the two edges to dull them with a piece of sandpaper so you have less chance of digging into the paint. Then you can scrape the run down by holding it at a slight angle (not quite 90 degrees to the surface) and scraping in one direction. Finish up by wetsanding on a block. If it is a pretty decent sized run you could start with up to 600 wet and then go over with finer sandpaper, but start with a finer grit like 1000 and see if it will take out the run. If you do go through, at least with base clear it won't be all that bad to repair. Sand the area of the imperfection is with maybe around 600 wet, the rest of the panel with 1000, spray more base where the imperfection or sand through is and go out a little more from the spot with each coat, blending it in. Then clear the whole panel. I agree with Burger king, you can save a lot buffing, so try that before reclearing the fender. I also wetsand by using a hose like adtkart, there is less chance of getting a piece of dirt under the paper leaving a deep scratch with a steady stream of water and not using a bucket, but be prepared for a pair of wet sneakers.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

Thank you for advices.
Bondoking engine is not out of the car. So I can spray clear on the inner fenders now even it looks foggy?
I will try sanding and buffing the not slick looking fender to see how it comes out.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:34 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

[QUOTE=ptcamaro]Bondoking engine is not out of the car. So I can spray clear on the inner fenders now even it looks foggy?
QUOTE]

Tape and mask everything off first of course, then scuff your oversprayed SSU.. ( single stage urethane)..and apply a couple coats of clear... Let it set till you think it is safe to pull the tape and paper... I do it soon, but that is not for everyone... You may want to wait until the next morning, then pull the tape/paper... close the hood and continue buffing.... If you wait unti the next day, any of your compound that might find its way under there wont hurt anything etc...

Matthew

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.