I Stopped Into A Upholstery Shop Today..... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 803
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I Stopped Into A Upholstery Shop Today.....

and asked the guy if he did car seats. The place advertises sofas, couches, dining room and kitchen chairs, etc. The guy told me "No". And his reason being that, " you need special fasteners for cars and we only use staples."

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 PM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 64
Posts: 5,823
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 143 Times in 131 Posts
Did they have a sewing machine, or did they just staple everything together?
__________________
__________________________________

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
__________________________________
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2011, 10:22 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coodeville
and asked the guy if he did car seats. The place advertises sofas, couches, dining room and kitchen chairs, etc. The guy told me "No". And his reason being that, " you need special fasteners for cars and we only use staples."
He may have been referring to hog rings.

Hog rings are hardly "special", but probably outside his area of what he needs for the type of upholstery he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Irelands child's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 4,865
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 13
Thanked 185 Times in 166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
He may have been referring to hog rings.

Hog rings are hardly "special", but probably outside his area of what he needs for the type of upholstery he does.
It's beyond that as upholsterers do use hog rings. My guess is that he doesn't use much if any contact cement, the special panel screws and the springy clips (that I really dislike) that hold upholstery to the doors and interior.
__________________
Irelands child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:19 AM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 64
Posts: 5,823
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 143 Times in 131 Posts
I think you're all missing the point. This guy only works on furniture. All he had to say was "I don't do cars", not come up with an excuse why he doesn't do them. I think the fastener comment was just a cop out.

Cars are a whole different ball game that require special techniques, tools, and supplies that an upholstery shop that only does furniture doesn't have. I'll bet he doesn't do snowmobile seats, motorcycle seats, or boat interiors either. All of those things require specific knowledge and techniques that he doesn't feel he needs to learn.
__________________
__________________________________

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
__________________________________
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 803
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Did they have a sewing machine, or did they just staple everything together?
They had a non compound feed Singer and Juki in the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 803
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
I think you're all missing the point. This guy only works on furniture. All he had to say was "I don't do cars", not come up with an excuse why he doesn't do them. I think the fastener comment was just a cop out.

Cars are a whole different ball game that require special techniques, tools, and supplies that an upholstery shop that only does furniture doesn't have. I'll bet he doesn't do snowmobile seats, motorcycle seats, or boat interiors either. All of those things require specific knowledge and techniques that he doesn't feel he needs to learn.
This is what I was thinking as well. But they do have a great rep for what they do. Friends of mine have used them for furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Was At An Upholstery Shop.......... Coodeville Interior 2 09-12-2010 08:32 AM
Stopped at the paint shop this week Ripped Body - Exterior 0 10-14-2007 11:44 PM
Stopped by Winfields today dinger Hotrodders' Lounge 4 06-22-2007 11:00 PM
Leaving your car at an Upholstery shop?? HotRodMan Interior 7 12-13-2005 07:13 PM
Drive to the Upholstery Shop trees Hotrodders' Lounge 4 06-21-2003 07:13 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.