Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I think I bought a hemi?
View Single Post
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Centerline Centerline is offline
Registered User
Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,263
Wiki Edits: 49

Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 56dodge
............ but this stroker seems like a nice project where I didnt have to shell out that much money.
First off, a 383 Chrysler is NOT a stroker. It was a stock big block engine. It is what is called a "B" block and is of the same design as the 440 "RB" engine. (RB stands for raised block meaning there is more distance from the center of the crankshaft to the deck of the block on those engines.) "B" block's were the 361, 383, and 400, "RB" engines were the 413, 426 (wedge), and the 440. Most parts will interchange between "B" and "RB" engines with the exception of intake manifolds, crankshafts and pistons.

Some people have installed a 440 crank in 383 block (machining is required for this) which will give you 426 cu. in. but the more popular stroker is to install a 440 crank in the 400 "B" engine which comes up to 451 cu. in. and is a bad *** engine by anyone's definition. A 383 with just a few upgrades, intake, headers, mild cam etc, will easily crank out around 400 horses which should haul that pickup around with little difficulty.

Good luck.

Last edited by Centerline; 08-05-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote